sailvi767

Well Known Member
I am in the process of wiring in the above components. I want the Zaon XRX tied into the 696 to display traffic and I want voice alerts for both traffic and the standard 696 alerts. Like all things electrical for me I thought this would be very simple and like always its not so easy. The aircraft had a existing PCAS system that was replaced and was tied into the ICS system with a standard Stereo mini jack which is also what the 696 uses.
Seemed like a simple wiring process. The 696 is hard wired for power to the aircraft and hard wired to the Zaon for traffic. Simply plug in the existing Stereo mini jack to the 696 and I am good to go! Sadly that was not the case. When the mini jack is plugged into the 696 everything works fine except there was no audio in the passenger headset. Ok, for the alerts but not for XM music. The real problem however was that the pilot side headset became very garbled when receiving radio transmissions. Unplugging the mini jack from the 696 restores the radios. Further investigation reveals that the installed stereo mini jack is not wired to the 340 but rather direct to the headset plugs behind the panel. Not sure why the garbled radio with this setup but not what I want.
The Garmin 340 has two music inputs. One on my aircraft one is hooked to a stereo mini jack installed on the panel for Ipods ect.. Works great and is muted with radio or ics com. The second music input is not in use. Reading the 340 manual however it appears the second input only outputs to the passenger headset.
How should I go about trying to wire the 696 into the system via the 340 for alerts. Is there a input on the 340 I am missing? Will I need to use the existing wiring off music 1 to the panel mini jack and give up the option to connect other devices? Keep in mind I am new at all this if the questions sound a bit stupid. Any help is appreciated!

George