ao.frog

Well Known Member
Hi.

I'm about to wire up my Garmin 327 with the prefab harness bought from Vans.

The installation manual has a diagram how to wire the different pins on table 4-1.

My harness however, came with five thin coloured wires sticking out from the connector plug also: two red wires, two black wires and one yellow wire.

I cannot find any reference to these five wires in the installation manual?

Am I correct to assume that the red ones can be connected to + power, the two black ones to ground and the yellow one to panel lighting for example?

Excuse this very basic and possible dumb question, but I'm still struggling to understand wiring... (sigh...)

Thanks!

Garmin 327 wiring

I'm not familiar with the diagram you are refering to. Do you have the Garmin Interconnect Drawings from the Garmin Intsallation Manual? They show the connections pretty well.

Pin 15: 11-33 VDC Aircraft Power
Pin 13: Aircraft Ground
Pin 25: Aircraft Ground
Pin 1: Avionics Master On

On mine Pin 15 and 1 were red power leads (Connect to same circuit breaker).
Pin 13 and 25 were black grounds.

You can double check which colored wires are going to which pin.

The yellow on mine wet to pin 24 which is the light dimmer circuit.

As for the other five you mention, I'm not sure. If you are using an encoder there would be ten wires for it. If you are using a digital altitude serializer (RS-232 like from a Dynon or similar EFIS) it would be only one wire which is pin 19, RS-232 IN.

My harness was not from Vans, but I believe it was made by the same people they use, so I'm not 100% familiar with the Vans harness.

Hope this helps.

Ted

Last edited:
Trace the wires back...

Hi Alf:

If the red, black and yellow wires you are referring to are connected to the Garmin 327 plug then your assumptions might be correct. However, I wouldn't want to take the chance of connecting power or ground to the wrong circuit. It could be a costly mistake.

Get an ohm meter and use it to identify which pin each wire goes to. Label the wires. Once you know the pin out you can use the diagram on page 4-1 to connect the wires to Van's harness.

Good Luck.

Mike Draper
RV-8, finish
Bridgewater, MA

Thanks guys

Hi.

Thanks for the advices guys.
And yes; those five wires comes out from the 327 Garmin plug.

One of the guys on my building team has already ohm'ed those wires, but he found a completely different pin-numbers for those five wires. (And he sweares he has ohm'ed correctly too...)

When we turned on power to test the 327, nothing happened... black screen...

In my simple pilot mind, I'd think red to power and black to ground would be the correct way to wire...

Oh well, I guess I'll borrow his ohm meter and try my self... ;-)

Last edited:
Pin numbering

Hi.

Thanks for the advices guys.
And yes; those five wires comes out from the 327 Garmin plug.

One of the guys on my building team has already ohm'ed those wires, but he found a completely different pin-numbers for those five wires. (And he sweares he has ohm'ed correctly too...)
Oh well, I guess I'll borrow his ohm meter and try my self... ;-)

Take care with the numbering system... diagrams may be from either the front of the back of the connector, and they may be of either the male or female part....:)

Get a bright light and a good magnifying glass and look for the pin numbers cast in the black plastic by the pins.

This shows how hard they can be to find....:)

SCSI_DB25.jpg

http://tech.yostengineering.com/rep...6-10-16.6664033220/photo_large/mall_itempopup

Counting from the wrong direction can ruin your whole day...:eek:

gil A

Last edited:
great point Gil

Gil has a good point.

I know that I have had to frequently use both a bright light and a magnifying glass to verify pin connections. It is very easy to get it wrong.

Mike Draper
RV-8 Finish
Bridgewater, MA

Last edited:
Sounds to me like you have an incorrect harness, perhaps the harness you received is for a differen't unit. The pin-outs and wire color Ted called out are correct and if your harness does not agree with Ted's information, you have the wrong harness.

Thanks guys

Thanks for all the good advices.
I'll check this out on Monday when we'll build again, and let you all know how it turns out.

This really is a great forum!

Problem solved!

Hi again.

Just wanted you to know that we got the 327 up'n running yesterday. :)
We'd indeed identified the wires incorrectly, just as suggested here.
The correct ID on the wires where red to +, black to ground.

Thanks to you guys who got us started in the right direction!

PS: the paintshop started on the wings today! I'm a pretty happy camper now...!