jdeas

Well Known Member
I have been wanting a 300xl for my RV7 for some time now but about six months ago a spam can owner (and good friend) purchased a new plane with one. The way it was explained to me, the database could no longer be updated for IFR flight.
Can someone clarify for me what the 300xl can allow you to do in an RV? Can you use it for IFR? Can database updates still be purchased?

Thanks

The Garmin websites lists the GNC 300XL as current production and TSO-certified for IFR.

Last edited:
Jepps still supported

I have a GNC 300XL in my RV, and continue to recieve IFR database updates through Jeppeson.

Pat

Jepp has it

I have a GNC 300XL in my RV, and continue to recieve IFR database updates through Jeppeson.
Pat
Me too!
If you do a search on the Jeppesen site for 300/300xl you'll find it. I just signed up for the updates in August, so I know it's a currently supported product.
You'll need to get the Skybound G2 datawriter. It plugs into a USB port, and then you plug the data card in and download the database over the internet.

Thanks

Guys,
Thanks for the input. Now if I can just find one for a good price....

The 300XL is basically a NON-WAAS IFR certified (Enroute and Non Precision Apr) - no WAAS/LPV or precision approaches with it.

Cheers,
Stein