RV8iator

Well Known Member
Benefactor
I just got a 300XL to replace my 250XL and can't find an installation manual on the 300. Garmin site lists only the pilot reference manual for the two.
I have been told that for a basic installation that it is just a plug and play. I have the manual for the 250 but would like to check the pins between that and the 300 before I slide it in.
Can anyone help me with copy of the connetor pins for the 300XL so I can compare the two.

thanks

Last edited:
Garmin 300XL vs 250XL

I believe they are identical except the 300XL is a TSO'd version of the 250XL.

From the Garmin site:
"The GNC 250XL delivers picture perfect GPS/comm technology and outstanding reliability. This VFR panel mount combines GPS navigation with a TSO-certified 760-channel transceiver and high resolution DSTN moving map display. The GNC 250XL shares the popular features of the GNC 300XL TSO at a lower price for the VFR pilot."

The pin-out is the same between the 250 and the 300.
It is a slide-in replacement.

Thanks

for the info from both of you.
I thought so but didn't want to fry something without checking.

250XL to a 300XL

The below is an extract from what the Garmin folks sent me when I asked the same question.
Mark

Thank you for contacting Garmin International,

The GNS300XL takes extra wires to a annunciator panel and also to a CDI.to make this a IFR certified. If you are looking only for basic operation and not IFR certified then it will plug in and work

With Best Regards,
George Koelsch
Field Service Engineer
Garmin Aviation Product Support
913-397-8200 voice
866-739-5687 toll free voice
913-397-8282 fax

I have the manuals...

in PDF format (Installation, Maintenance, Pilot Guide, and connections to an AK950L). Send an email to dennis-dot-glaeser-at-hp-dot-com if you want them.

I have had good luck with retrevo.com. I just tried their search feature and they have the install manual you need.
Bob

Basic IFR

is what I'm looking for. I'm looking for an annunciator panel and will use the Dynon HS34 to wire into Dynon D10A for the CDI and scaling.

Thanks Dennis for the manual, George for the Garmin note and Rob and Bob for the links.

Even a cave man should be able to figure it out now..

Jerry... double-check, but you probably do not need an annunciator if hooking it up to Dynon.. (and GPS being installed w/in the FAA-specified field of view)

Jerry... double-check, but you probably do not need an annunciator if hooking it up to Dynon.. (and GPS being installed w/in the FAA-specified field of view)

I would ditto that - it is an ARINC 429 connection, so ALL information should be transmitted to the Dynon.

However, that presumes you have an HS34. Absent that, you will only be able to hook up using Serial, and in that case I don't believe you will get precision approach information.

More info here.

Last edited:
Roll your own annunciator

Jerry I'm running a 300XL with a Mid Continent 1441 annunciator and Dynon FD180. I believe you will in fact have to have an annunciator with some lights and switches to be "legal". You'll get autoscalling and an HSI fed through the Airinc 429, but you will need the ability to HOLD WPT Sequencing by a latching switch which will let you do full approaches where an IAF is also used as a FAF. I think you'll need a way to ARM/Disarm approaches and the ability to display Approach status with ARM, ACTIVE, WPT on annunciator lights. There was a thread last year on this and I think Brantel might be rolling his own annunciator. I was fortunate when I bought my 300XL it came with the annunciator. In my 7 I never have to look at the 300XL during the approach since the Annunciator and Dynon are telling me everything I need to know. Maybe Brian will chime in here.

Annunciators

Good info. I thought the HS34 would give me the scaling but thought I would need the annunciator also.
I have access to a Mid Continent MD441-824 the was working with a Northstar M3. Anybody know if this annunciator could be made to talk to the 300. MD-441-444 are running well north of 1K and it would be nice to not have to go that route.

Annunciator panel...

I agree that you need the annunciator panel to be legal for IFR. What you don't need is CDI switching, which makes the annunciator much more expensive. I went with an AK-950L - the "L" version (for Light, I think) has the switches and lights, but no multi-pole CDI switch.

Actually...you don't need an expensive annunciator per se. Look at the installation document. It is perfectly legal to wire up simple lamps and one momentary button for the annunciation requirements. Many older airplanes that have been upgraded to IFR GPS are set up in exactly this manner.

I have an IFR certified GX-50 in my panel. The GX-50 install manual is very clear on this fact and even gives you a wiring diagram for wiring up with simple lamps and a momentary button.