0ptions

Gents, I have a radio issue that I cannot overcome. I have a Garmin 300XL GPS/com with a Flight com intercom. I can listen to ATIS, use the intercom with a passenger but I cannot modulate any audio through the radio. All pins tested for continuity. My only thought would be the connector on the back of the Garmin. Has anyone had this problem. Could the pins be too short? :mad: :mad: FAA signed off last weekend and I would like to fly my 8.

Yes

Hi Doug,
We couldn't transmit from the pilot's side for the first twenty hours of phase one and man, I got p'oh'd! I personally wired the airplane and two buddies of mine double checked continuity as well and everything was OK :confused: So I got a ferry permit to fly it to Augusta, Ga (45 miles) and a really good radio guy said that the wiring's fine so he looked into the radio tray very carefully and said that he didn't think the mike key contact was touching the radio pin when it slid home.

He taped a dental pick to a long screwdriver and ever so gently, also using a flashlight, reached in and bent the female so it would "bite" the male radio pin, slid the radio in and voila!! Transmit...! Just be sure to not count the pins backwards, since you'll be looking in from the opposite end than what the schematic shows,
Regards,

Other things to check

Sometimes the way the tray has been mounted it prevents the radio from fully engaging because it hits the panel etc. This can allow some pins to make contact but not others.

If I remember correctly, the Flightcom intercom has a separate PTT/Transmit Key wire for the pilot and the copilot headphone jacks. I have heard of the wires getting switched and wired to the wrong stick positon. Try pushing the PTT switch for the rear seat while talking into the mic for the front seat headset.

Good responses. I'll try both. I already nibbled the shell on the connector to get an extra 1/16". No dice. Cross your fingers.