I am trying to get these two to talk to each. I have just wired them and it seems to test ok. IE: I use the 300XL to test the annunciator lights and they all light up individually when the appropriate requst is made. On another test page on the 300XL you can press the ARM/ARR button and the appropriate appropriate message is highlighted on the 300XL. This all seems to indicate that it is wired correctly.

My question is that when I am within 30nm of the destination and tracking to the IAF it neither self arms nor can it be manually armed or at least I do not get any indication that it has armed the approach.
What indications should I be seeing when try to arm the approach?
Will the 300XL indicate that the APP is armed?
The annunciator on the MD41-444 does not show armed.

Also can it be manually armed beyond the 30nm?
If I am on the ground and within 30nm will it arm?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

300XL arming

My 300XL shows "ARM" on my AK950 when I'm within 30 nm of the destination either on the ground or in the air. You can manually disarm, and re-arm, but AFAIK it has to automatically ARM initially.
Did you get the "Ready for Navigation" message?
Do you have the Scale set to "Auto" (a setup item).
Make sure you are not in "Hold" mode.

Thanks Dennis.

Yep, I have it set to Auto Scale and I do get the ready for navigation message and its not in hold.

Is there any chance that I have to have an up to date data base for it to be able to arm. I havnt as yet used it for approaches so the data base is out of date at the moment. Just a thought. The GPS functions fine in all ather regards, it will track to the IAF just will not indicate armed.

Another thought was that when on the ground I am within 30 nm of the destination however when I add in the approach the track miles become 34nm VIA the approach. So I went for a fly and got a bit closer, ensured the track miles were less than 30 and tried again but no joy.

I am not sure what I am or have done wrong. I guess I keep trying.

Thanks for your suggestions.

300XL arming

Chris,

I don't think the OOD database is it. Mine was way out of date (2 years) when I flew initially and it worked fine.
Have you actually flown the approach? Does it give you any messages?
Sounds like a call to Garmin may be in order...:(

Called them them a couple of hours ago. Very helpful. Apparently there is a configuration that I need to change in the setup of the 300xl. APPROACH SWITCH must be changed from NONE to INSTALLED. I missed this in the installation manual.
I hope thats it, will hopefully get to it today.

Will let you know. Thanks again.

Its done thanks Dennis.

And all I needed to do was read the instructions completley and it would have been working a few days ago. Just need to tell the 300xl that the annunciator was hooked up to it. Which I had overlooked as the two seemed to be communicating when the annunciator lights were being tested.

It now auto arms or arms when selected, deviation scale on the EFIS reduces etc.

All is good.