In short - no

You need an annunciator panel to meet the requirements of the technical spec. The AK950L is what I have to meet that need.
You also need a CDI, but the Sport can fulfill that requirement, so you don't need the high $$$ multi-pole CDI switch (the L on the 950L indicates no CDI switching capability).
The one thing my setup doesn't have is the ability to set the course using the Sport CDI when in Hold mode. That would require an ARINC module ($$$). The 300XL will complain that there is no CDI input when you go into hold mode, but setting the course manually on the 300XL works fine (and in reality it is a rarely used capability anyway).

Last edited:
Horizon and 300XL

I have a dual screen GRT Horizon 1, and have a 300XL wired to it. I am just about to power it up. I don't think there are any differences in that regard between the Sport and the Horizon 1. Todd and Carlos at GRT told me I am fine with the 300XL and using the GRT as the display. No requirement to have a certificated indicator in the airplane. I just has to perform as an indicator, which it does.

I am by absolutely no means an expert on the FARs, and didn't stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, but I went over this multiple times with Todd and Carlos, and they assured me it is fine.

Best,

Ben

Sport and 300XL

I have the Sport 200 with ARINC and the 300XL with an annunciator. When connecting the 300XL use the Horizon diagrams for the wiring to the ARINC.

I had some problems understanding until I looked at the Horizon information.

Ken

GRT to 300xl

We have a dual H1 system wired to the 300 with no external annuc. or CDI. Just starting to play with the GPS approaches (it flies them great in vfr conditions) but have not had time to look into the annunc. requirements. It is my understanding the you set the hold mode and the radial in the 300 when you do not want the GPS approach to sequence.

I do know that the OBS selector on the HSI in the GRT works great with the VOR/ILS receiver in the SL30 for setting radials.

Thanks

Thanks for the input. I spoke with Carlos this morning. To be legal for IFR I would need the ARNIC module and annunicator panel.

Too bad, the 300XL would have been good for my application if not for these two problems.

Hmmm, the GRT has a built in annunciator and it is automatic. I have this with my 430 and SL-30. Is there something different about the 300XL that it does not display this?

Tad Sargent

Hmmm, the GRT has a built in annunciator and it is automatic. I have this with my 430 and SL-30. Is there something different about the 300XL that it does not display this?
Tad Sargent
You must have the Horizon. The Sport doesn't have annunciators.

annunciators

Dennis,

That is the problem. I have the sport. I would have to buy annunciators to make the 300XL legally usable.

Yeah, but even with the cost of the AK950L, the 300XL is still the least expensive IFR GPS solution, using the Sport as the CDI (and living with the manual entry of course in Hold mode). Even if you get the ARINC module, it's probably still cheaper than a 430.
Of course you also need a VOR (SL30) since the 300XL is not WAAS. The Sport can be the CDI for both (even simultaneously).
I guess it all depends on your requirements (and pocketbook :)

Tad Sargent

Tad, can you tell me more about the annunciator in the Horizon 1, I was not aware of that? Where is it located in the screens?

Thanks

No I do not have the Horizon, Sport only. When I select GPS or Vor/ILS
on the top left side of the screen the GRT will show what I have selected and what it is using for Navigation, ie, VLOC or GPS and display when appropriate ILS capured. There is no need for an external annunciator with
an SL30 or 430. Thus the 300XL question, is there something different with this unit? Additionally the autopilot function of the Sport displays the altitude hold selected, the climb airspeed selected and heading selected all on the same screen.

GRT

OK I know what you mean about the ILS approach annunicator. Does this also work on the GPS approaches (armed, active, hold)

The GPS will annunciate on the Sport but there is nothing to capture unless you couple it with synthetic approach using HITS, you will have a CDI, but again this is with the 430 or the internal GPS. Not sure about the 300XL and annunciate feature.

300XL Annunciation

The Annunciators required for the 300XL show whether the GPS approach mode is Armed or Active, and a switch is required (part of the annunciator panel) to re-arm if necessary. Another display/switch is the Hold annunciator - required to stop the auto-sequencing when doing a procedure turn. It also has a MSG annunciator. Finally there is a VOR/GPS annunciator/switch - which is not required in this case.

These are the annunciators that are required for an IFR installation of the 300XL that the Sport does not provide.

The annunciations mentioned in the previous posts are for the Sport modes (what is driving the CDI/Autopilot/Flight director, and if SAP is active) - not the GPS.

I think you ment to say the 300XL does not provide this... the Sport does provide the functionality
for the 400/500 series.

Last edited:
The 430/530/430W/530W have all the annunications and buttons required built right into them as long as you install them in accordance with the line of sight rules in the manual. The 300XL does not have all the required stuff built into it.

The GRT might display some of the required annunciations but it would not have the buttons required to work with the approaches.

The only way to make the Sport HSI legal for IFR with the 300XL is to do it with an ARINC connection because the standard serial signal does not autoscale the CDI and that one point alone will be a fail...

It is easy to build annunciators for all of these GPS models. All it takes is the install manual which will show you how to wire them up. No reason to break the bank on an off the shelf box that does the same thing as a few lights and a button or two can do.

Brantel "The GRT might display some of the required annunciations but it would not have the buttons required to work with the approaches".

GRT has ALL the required annunciations for the 400/500/600 plus series. No buttons are required for IFR flight, zero.

Best

Last edited:
Was not talking about the 430/530/430w/530w.

Those don't even require anything since they have it all built in. I was talking about the 300xl....

Thanks Guys!

I understand what you are saying now. Will look into the annunciator needed to make my 300 legal for IFR GPS approaches.