olyolson

Well Known Member
Friend
Does anyone know if the Garmin 296 is compatible with the Navaid AP-1? According to the manual, the AP-1 will track an analog (varying DC voltage) signal from a GPS. I don't know what type of signal is sent out from the Garmin 296 but I double checked that I hooked up the 296 output wire to the correct pin on the AP-1. In the Navaid manual wiring diagram it shows that a single 'data out' wire connects to one pin on the back of the AP-1 (pin#8). If it shows a single data wire connection point on the back of the AP-1 does that mean that the 296 should work in track mode?

You need the smart coupler interface if I am remembering correctly. The 296 output is serial NMEA data not analog.

The smart coupler converts the NMEA to analog.

Unless you Navaid has a built in Smart Coupler you'll need one.

If there is a telephone type plug or wire out back of the Navaid you're set, otherwise:
http://www.porcine.com/

From Tru-Trak:
Garmin 295
The Garmin 295 requires a power/data cable (Garmin Part Number 010-10082-00) to provide data output. The Garmin 295
must be configured to provide the correct output to the autopilot.
Press the MENU key twice. Use the rocker keypad to select the ?INTERFACE? tab.
Press the down portion of the rocker keypad to select the ?FORMAT? field.
Press ENTER and a popup window will show the available settings.
Use the rocker keypad to select ?NMEA OUT? then press ENTER. Select 4800 for the baud rate.
Note: This is the baud rate that will need to be entered in the setup mode of the autopilot.
Now the Garmin 295 is correctly set up to provide the RS-232 serial output required by your TruTrak autopilot.