PCHunt

Well Known Member
Sponsor
Are all the X96 Garmin portable GPS's "plug" compatible with each other? Are the plugs on the back all the same?

In other words, could you remove a -196 and replace it with a -396 using the same power and data plug wires that are already installed in the plane?

Hoping my question makes sense............... :eek: (Electrons are not my forte')

Are all the X96 Garmin portable GPS's "plug" compatible with each other? Are the plugs on the back all the same?

In other words, could you remove a -196 and replace it with a -396 using the same power and data plug wires that are already installed in the plane?

Hoping my question makes sense............... :eek: (Electrons are not my forte')

Sorry but the plugs are not the same. :( Only the 396 and 496 are the same. However if you buy the bare wire accessory plug for the unit you desire and simply cut your old 196 plug off then you could easily just connect the new plug and its wires to the old wires cause they all put out the same info through the same internal wires within the different plugs .:)

Sorry but the plugs are not the same. :( Only the 396 and 496 are the same. However if you buy the bare wire accessory plug for the unit you desire and simply cut your old 196 plug off then you could easily just connect the new plug and its wires to the old wires cause they all put out the same info through the same internal wires within the different plugs .:)

This is why I recommend builders buy the Garmin harness and put a DB9 connector on the end. It makes changing them out much easier.

The 196 uses the older style 4 pin round connector also used on the old models 295, Pilot II and III, 96, 92, and other old units.

The 296, 396, 495 and 496 share the same multi-contact round connector that may have as many as 9 conductors active depending on model.

See http://pinouts.ru/GPS for the pinouts of many portable GPS units.