Abbygirl1

Well Known Member
OK, all the avionics gurus...........I re-inherited my old Garmin 195 from my son this weekend. (He's a C-17 aircraft commander, so I guess he really doesn't need it..lol). My question is this; the unit is like new, no scratches aor dings. I just need to know if there is any way to update the flight database in it. I see one for sale on Ebay that the seller CLAIMS to have been updated this March 2013. If this is true, how did he do it and what do I need?

Check with Garmin. I'm not sure the 195 is still supported. If you're going to Sun n Fun they can probably do the upgrade there.

Perhaps that was my eBay listing you saw. I just updated my GPSMAP-195 to the DB that takes effect April 4th via the Garmin web site, but it cost only $49.95 for the USA. You can't put all of North America into the unit anymore so they allow you to choose subregions. I chose one that included all of the USA. Worked fine via the serial data cable, after I reduced the serial baud rate in the update app to 9600 baud.

floppy disk

Does anyone know if they have the update on something other than floppys? I have a 195 also but have not seen a floppy drive in years!

You can update the GPSMAP-195 using a serial port and a data interface cable that comes with the GPS unit. If you don't have a serial port on your PC, one of those cheap USB-serial converters would probably work, although I haven't tested it.

Here's the database update info and prices:

https://fly.garmin.com/fly-garmin/aviation_database_cycles.jsp

And here's where you go to update it via your serial port:

https://fly.garmin.com/fly-garmin/

Like I said, it's only $49.95 to update the Jepp database in the GPSMAP-195 this way. No idea why the other site listed in a previous post lists it as $125. Maybe because they have to scrounge around for the floppy disks!

195 Update

Jeppeson was updating the 195 at Oshkosh as late as 2011 for $40.00. You might check with them during Sun and Fun.

Talked to Garmin. They said it was 49.95, and you have to get the USB-serial cable. Like previously posted, only download what area is essential to you to keep file size down.

i have one you can have

as soon as I figure out how to update my database I will send to you. cable has three connections, one to the power port of the unit, a 9 pin that needs the adapter that I think plugs into the computer and a round plug with 7 pins in it that has me confused. Garmin is closed so unless I get answers on here I will call them on Monday and try to figure it out.

If I remember correctly the serial interface cable is semi-generic in that it works with GPSMAP-195 units (which do NOT have the classic Garmin 4-pin round connector), as well as other Garmin GPS units that have that 4-pin round connector. So in your case, the round connector is simply not used. Electrically, I believe it "Y's" into the part that snaps onto the GPSMAP-195.