pierre smith

Well Known Member
I just gave a BFR to a gent in a 4 place Katana with two G-1000 units and a Garmin autopilot. We were discussing his upcoming IFR training and I didn't know whether or not the 1000 was capable of flying coupled ILS approaches...do they?

Thanks,

A four place Katana would make it a Diamond DA-40 Star....

We have two at our local FBO (and a twin engined four place Katana which is a DA-42 Twin Star), all of which are G1000 equipped and all of which fly coupled approaches very nicely..

There are some things to consider when you give the student/candidate a system failure. These units combine a large number of functions and killing a screen could very well turn off your radio's and/or transponder.
You may want to go through the POH very carefully before hopping into the Star and scare ATC with your transponder disappearing and no longer answering to calls... Please don't ask me how I know...:D:D

Good luck !

Yep

I fly one that is coupled to a King AP.

I'm sure it depends on the AP-type, but in the plane I fly it will do it.

Phil

It depends on the age of that plane and which particular system(s) are installed. Some are WAAS and some are not. It also depends on the A/P....

Anyway, I couldn't give you a definitive answer without knowing the details of the equipment, but properly equipped you can fly (coupled up) pretty much every approach known - both analog and/or digital. Did the unit you fly behind have SVT and the velocity vector/pip on it?

Cheers,
Stein

The one I had a bunch of time in, with a G1000/King a/p, would do ok with a fully coupled ILS approach. But nowhere near as nice as the RV :).

Nice plane!

Yep, we had some of the first G1000-equipped DA-40 Diamond Stars at my old flight school with King autopilots and they flew coupled ILSs. Very nice airplanes. I'd like to fly one with an integrated Garmin autopilot sometime.

Another thing to consider-- Garmin may have "fixed" this since then, but we found out the hard way that you shouldn't pull circuit breakers to kill different elements of the system in flight. We went through magnetometers at an alarming rate. Garmin said those things should outlast the airplane, and eventually figured out that pulling breakers screwed them up. :eek: We had to dim the screens to simulate partial-panel.

Say what??

......... Did the unit you fly behind have SVT and the velocity vector/pip on it?

Cheers,
Stein

What's a velocity vector pip? It had two magenta colored pointers on the AH screen pointing inwards, if that's what you're referring to. No synthetic vision.

Thanks everybody,

G1000 Velocity Vector

What's a velocity vector pip? It had two magenta colored pointers on the AH screen pointing inwards, if that's what you're referring to. No synthetic vision.
Thanks everybody,
The velocity vector is shown on the MFD Map. It is a teal line that shows where you will be in a configurable number of minutes. If you keep the teal line on the magenta line, you have the perfect heading to maintain your course. Very useful.
The magenta triangles on the PFD (horizontally long, vertically short) are the Flight Director command bars.
The Cessnas I instruct in (172s, 182, 350) are all G1000 and we have a mix of the KAP140 and GFC700 autopilots. They not only fly coupled approaches, but on the miss, will go out and do the holding for you as well :cool:
The GFC700 has a vertical mode (FLC - flight level change) which maintains an airspeed instead of vertical speed - much safer for climbs. It also will follow the vertical track mode, if used, for descents.

What do you mean by "Coupled"? If you are talking about the auto pilot which one? The G-1000 will fly coupled auto-pilot approaches with both the Kap 140 and the GFC 700. The GFC 700 has a couple more features but both do a nice job. If it has the WAAS gps then you can fly a WAAS approach, otherwise you are limited to ILS, VOR, LDA etc.

regards

~Marc

Last edited: