kevinsrv7.com

Well Known Member
Was wondering what size workshop space people are using, I may be transfering my project to a 21.5" by 21.5" garage. Anyone else getting by with such a small area?
Thanks

Um, yeah. My garage is 22x22 with one bay 26 feet long. That's the area I use...the rear of that 26' bay. I still get my wife's Envoy in that bay, and my boat is in the other bay (My truck is outside). It's tight, but it works. 21.5x21.5 all open would be GRAND for me! :D

I have a 20' x 22' garage and I have only used at max, 1/2 of it at max while working through the wings. The fuse on a -7 is about 21' from the rear to the front of the spinner. I plan to have the fuse diagonally in the garage when I have the full setup going. From my calculations, should fit fine. You are good to go with what you have.

My garage

I'm building an RV-9A in an 18x18 garage. I have a workbench along the back wall, laundry along the left wall, and built-in cabinets along the right wall. My fuselage fits in on a 45? angle, with plenty of room to get around it. My empennage is stored overhead, and my wings are in a hangar at the airport.

Craig Vincent
Stockton, CA
www.N51CV.com
www.StocktonEAA.org

I built 2 RV-6s at the same time in a 23' X 23' garage and had plenty of room. Now I did have parts stored all over the house.

My airplane was built in a 18' x 16' garage. Two cars shared the space for a couple of years, then one car shared the space for a couple of years, and finally the airplane pushed both cars outside.

As others have said, you'll need additional storage space if your workshop is this small. When I was building, I had both wings in my master bedroom for a couple of years. Chicks dug it..

Mike Segar commented that I was building an RV in as little space as he'd seen. I think that was a compliment. ;-)

Build space.

Built both wings and my fuselage in a fourteen ft. single wide mobile home. Had to cut the end off the bar between the kitchen and living room area in order to squeeze by sideways to get from the front door to the bedroom during the fuselage stage.

Had room for a workbench and had all the comforts of home, so to speak. Course, you didn't dare walk around bare foot because of all the aluminum curlicues, shavings and drilled out rivets in the carpet!!!!!

Eventially, life got better. Got a hangar, new wife and built a new house! Ended up putting the wife to work, replacing the carpet in the mobile home and renting it out, both of which helps buy gas!

Where there's a will, there's a way!

On the other side of the coin, Martin & Claudia Sutter built their first -6 in their living room. They pulled up the carpet, set up the jigs, (before prepunched kits) and went to work. Climate controlled comfort.

Mel said:
On the other side of the coin, Martin & Claudia Sutter built their first -6 in their living room. They pulled up the carpet, set up the jigs, (before prepunched kits) and went to work. Climate controlled comfort.

Kinda like this?

Double garage

......... or this!
smallworkshopjl8.jpg