ChrisL

I have sized my HS / Elevator fairing gaps down to an even 3/32" and did the same on my VS / Rudder fairings. I have heard a lot of folks mention that 1/8" is the minimum for this gap, but I am wondering what I should be concerned about. Is this mainly an ice consideration? or is it more to do with flex / movement while under load.

Please feel free to comment on the pic below...
DSC03967_Resized.JPG

Thanks,
Chris

You'll need to take the duct tape off before painting. :p

Seriously, I think the 1/8" - 3/32" gap is to account for paint build up later. You just don't want them to rub. Nice fit BTW.

Last edited:
Gap

The gap is mostly for ice, and maybe mud, sticks, etc. if you fly off turf.
If that area flexes enough to cause problems, you have other, bigger problems :eek:

How about .060?

Here is a data point for you.

I recently purchased an RV-4 where this gap at the end of the counterweight (counterweight is angled a little) is so close you would have trouble putting a piece of paper in it. If you push the counterweight a little it will actually rub against the HS. I suspect this has been this way for most if not all of the 450 hours on the airplane, although there may have been an event that caused this (there is a small dent in the trailing edge). There is no evidence of regular rubbiing in that area. I have decided to reskin this elevator and correct the angle of the counterweight in the process, but the resulting gap will still be in the neighborhood of 2/32 (a whole lot better than nearly nothing).

Please, no guru tags. I'm just a homebuilder. Gurus can be found among the composite plans-only guys, or for me, down the street at the GKN plant.