RScott

Well Known Member
I'm building a 9A, QB fuselage. Still fiddling with the gear leg sockets and I need help. I have an unexplained gap between a flange on the gear leg weldment (socket) and the fuselage sidewall, where 5 bolts go thru from the sidewall to the flange.

If you look at drawing 34A for the 9A, the drawing titled "Gear Attach and Center Cabin Cover" go to the drawing "WD-921 -l-PC..." near the bottom center of the sheet and follow the gear leg upward to where it enters the socket. Just above that spot and to the right, there are 5 nuts & bolts. On mine, there is a gap of about 1/16 inch between the flange the bolts go thru and the fuselage sidewall.

I have the 3 AN4-12A bolts installed in the upper part of the spar and one going thru the spar web near the bottom of the spar. The flange on the end of the tube that goes forward and downward and fits against the sidewall is flush, and with a mirror I can see that all other holes in the socket line up with their respective holes in the spar. So I am sure everything is in alignment.

But I still have this gap. Why? What did I do wrong this time?

Gear Weldment

RSCOTT,
Jamie Painter had a problem with his RV-7A gear leg weldment. You can look him up he's a VAF member. As I recall, there where rivet heads interfering with the weldment and he had to grind out the weldment allowing clearance.
Charlie, Tucson, AZ
RV-7

grinding

Just did my 7A gear weldments (qb fuse) and found also that I had to grind on the weldment itself to get it to fit. There were rivits on the main spar interfering with the weldment placement. Once I ground the weldment by about 1/16 of an inch, everything fit perfectly.