RVG8tor

Well Known Member
I have seen some panels with switches related to GPS stuff between these two. I will have both in my plane, but I am planning my switches and I don't know what I might need switched between these two GPS units. Anyone with this configuration fill me in on what to think about. Right now I two wires in my harness to connect the 430W to the 496, do I need a switch?

Thanks for the help

430 & 496

Mike
Sorry I don't have a direct answer, but in my Cherokee (RV-7A in work) I have both a 430 and 295 and I DO NOT have any interface between them for two reasons: 1) 430 is IFR legal as is 2) 295 is backup and I don't want any risk of one of them taking the other one down.

thanks

Wire a single SPST switch on the 430W Tx to 496 Rx.

There are occasions where you DO NOT want cross fill from the 430W to the 469. An SPST switch will allow you to temporarily "break" this connection. This can come in handy when you want to do "what if" on the portable 496. Without this switch, the active flight plan of the 430W would override any manually entered route on the 496 or you would have to go into setup and disable cross fill.

Mike
Sorry I don't have a direct answer, but in my Cherokee (RV-7A in work) I have both a 430 and 295 and I DO NOT have any interface between them for two reasons: 1) 430 is IFR legal as is 2) 295 is backup and I don't want any risk of one of them taking the other one down.

thanks
There is not much risk of the portable taking down the panel mount. The is a huge benefit however in having the active flight plan updated to the portable in case your panel goes dark.