erich weaver

Well Known Member
Patron
Im nearing completion on my -7A (IO-360 B1B) and have read up on LOP operations through the various John Deakin articles on Avweb. Sounds like the way to go, but I will have to change out my injectors and replace them, presumably with new ones from either GAMI or Airflow Performance. These companies both seem to get rave reviews from their customers. Can anybody give me a reason to go one way or the other? AFP is apparently cheaper, but it looks like you may have to travel to their facility to do the testing and get the property injectors installed? Are there any other options I am not aware of?

thanks

erich weaver

Before you do anything, fly your airplane. Break the engine in. Once the engine is broken in, you can do the gami spread test...leaning and recording data (however possible) and getting a sense of the gami spread (difference in fuel flow between the first and last cylinders to reach peak EGT).

You might get lucky and have a well balanced setup out of the box! Unlikely, but possible.

If not, then you call Don Rivera at Airflow Performance and let him know what data you collected. He may want additional data. You do NOT need to go to the AFP facility to get things balanced.

But I guess my main point is "wait and see" if you really need to make any changes to the engine.

Nozzle Tuning

As Dan said. Put at least 50 hours or so on your new engine before taking nozzle data. If you have new Precision nozzles, you will only have to change the restrictors. Special sizes are $25.00 each. You only may need to change one or two to dial it in. If you contact me off line at [email protected], I can send you the information you need to gather the data.

Don

GAMI Vs. Airflow

erich:

Go with Don at Airflow. Aside from being probably the most knowledgable man on the Planet about aircraft fuel injection, he's a homebuilder too!

I had what I thought was a problem with my F.I. Servo, and since I live fairly close to his shop, I took it there to have them check it out. Kyle, one of his technicians checked it out on the airflow bench, replaced a small nut inside, checked it again on the airflow bench, gave me a graph of the fuel flow at different airflow rates, and checked the flow divider. Then, Don and his wife, Kyle and another Tech bought my lunch. Total bill-----$117 dollars and change! When is the last time you got out of an FAA approved repair station for 117 bucks.

Almost forgot this was a certified servo and flow divider. Bill would have been $20 less if he could have his part instead of a genuine Bendix part!

Mannan Thomason
RV-8 N161RL No. One Girl

Recommend

No reason to go with GAMI when you can get essentially the same thing, for far less, from Airflow. I've experience great service as well.