1bigdog

Well Known Member
With the practice kit complete it's now game on.

Practice1.JPG

Practice2.JPG

Not sure I was happy about "modifying" the no-nose yoke to do a better job on the last 4 trailing edge rivets but the mod will make for perfect flush rivets using the squeezer.

Also not happy with the leading edge as I didn't bend in the upper edge quite enough and will probably use a smaller radius pipe for most of the rest of the project.

Finally, when doing the trailing AEX wedge on the real thing glue will come in handy. I will want to practice more on "filling in" that back-riveted side on the shop side. I'm not sure the 3-3 is quite enough to fill the dimple and even a 3.5 ( as an experiment) didn't seem to quite fill it in either so I suspect there will be more experimentation to come during the empennage.

But the back riveting came out nice. All the squeezer rivets are nice. And I learned to use the factory head on the thin sheet side when putting together multiple panels to avoid deforming the thinnest sheet of a stack of three (spar, rib, skin - factory side on the skin !).

Empennage is waiting in the garage.

My tail is reserved as C-FMBC.

Letter of intent and Response complete with MD-RA.

Membership complete (as long as Doug got my snail mail).

Game on !

Thanks for everyone valuable input thus far.
Cleko's about to start flying all over the place.

Michael B.
Markham Ontario
RV-9A
C-FMBC

Last edited:
Congratulations

Congratulations on getting started.
Lots of tricks on VAF. Always do a search before starting a component. It will save you.
On leading edges, first roll the edge just a hair. I use a smaller pipe first to form the edge then switch to the 3/4" to finish the curve. Look for tips on setting up a bending brake jig. Most use big "J" hooks.
On the AEX, proseal it in place using a piece of angle pre match drilled to the trailing edge. Leave it for a week to set then proceed with the riveting.