Bob Axsom

Well Known Member
From another thread I was informed that Gaffer's tape would be best for a temporary speed mod to close the bolt access openings in the rudder and elevator of our RV-6A. I completed the installation today after a lengthy "cut, try and replace" process. It truly is a learning experience. I test flew it today at 6,000 ft density altitude per the www.us-airrace.org handicap procedure and inserted the three speeds and tracks into the National Test Pilot School spread sheet. The resulting speed was 182.6 kts which is a 1.3 kt increase over the previous high speed configuration. Inspection of the tape after the flight showed it to be the same as it was before starting the engine - thanks for the recommendations.

Bob Axsom

Last edited:
Sorry Doesn't Work Anymore

I have the photos but the old imageshack method doesn't work for me any more. I tried around 5 times.

Bob Axsom

I sent you a private message

I can't send photos that way either but if you or anyone else has an interest in seeing the photos, give me your e-mail address and I will try to send them to you.

Bob Axsom

Here are Bob's photos of the gaffers tape mod.

normal_IMG_2083s.jpg

normal_IMG_2084s.jpg

My apologies if anyone tried to access or view the photos a short while ago & could not. Took a lightning hit to the transformer on my power pole and it took longer than my backup supply lasted to repair it. Need to get larger backup supply I guess.