kirkbauer

I hope this doesn't come across as a frequently-asked-question, but I have done quite a bit of research and can't quite answer my question on this.

The VPX-Pro is primarily an electrical distribution system and can be used to replace some of your fuses and/or breakers. But it also performs other functions, particularly flap control and trim control.

Garmin's GAD 27 can also do flap control and trim control. It can't replace any fuses/breakers, but it does have a few extra things: Wig Wag (which I will have from Fly LEDs anyways), Lighting Controller, Voltage Stabilizer (won't need this w/ IBBS), and extra discrete inputs into the G3X Touch system.

I'm building an RV-10 and was planning on using the G3X Touch suite, Garmin autopilot servos, and Van's elevator trim/aileron trim/flaps servos. I'm debating on VPX-Pro vs GAD 27.

My questions:
  • What does dimming look like without the GAD 27? I admittedly haven't dug into this much. If I had a VPX-Pro and no GAD 27 would I be limited to a single potentiometer for panel dimming?
  • Does the GAD 27 do flaps and/or trim BETTER than the VPX-Pro? If I buy the VPX-Pro instead of the GAD 27 what functionality do I lose?

I suggest you evaluate all options, including not using either GAD 27 ($720) or the VPX Pro ($2400).

For flaps the $245 Show Planes Flap Positioning system is a good product at a good price.

For Trim control I use the SkyView Autopliopt module ($645). It controls the autopilot servos as well as the standard trim servos. It also enables “Auto Trim” when the autopilot is engaged. I assume the Garmin autopilot control does the same so no need to replicate the function.

For Wig/Wag, as you know this is a feature on lighting options like “The Works” from FlyLed. At $700 for everything ($599 for the landing/ nav lights and wingtip strobes, $99 for the Tail light and strobe) you have a great deal on a good product.

For all the “electronic breaker” stuff in the VPX, too many eggs in one basket for me. I run dual, independent avionic busses and simple breakers work well for me. I never have “brown out” during engine start (I assume this is the GAD 27 voltage stabilizer function).

Carl

The VPX will do flaps, trim, and wig-wag.

The VPX does electronic circuit breakers. It is great and has operated flawlessly in my -10.

I have never experienced a “brown out” during engine start, or ever.

My next build will definitely include a VPX.

The VPX will do flaps, trim, and wig-wag.

The VPX does electronic circuit breakers. It is great and has operated flawlessly in my -10.

I have never experienced a “brown out” during engine start, or ever.

My next build will definitely include a VPX.
Same here, VPX a great troubleshooting tool. With the introduction of release G3X software 9.31 using the VPX for flaps and trim a little awkward to use the new alarm logic. Still would use it for its electronic CB function.

In addition to controlling flaps, trim, and wig wag, I really appreciated the VPX while wiring my plane. It made it easy to identify and correct shorts and mis-pinned plugs. It also identified and allowed me to trouble-shoot a primary alternator fault enroute home from Oshkosh. We were able to confidently switch to the stand-by alternator and continue home, rather than overnighting somewhere else.

I suggest you evaluate all options, including not using either GAD 27 ($720) or the VPX Pro ($2400).

For flaps the $245 Show Planes Flap Positioning system is a good product at a good price.

For Trim control I use the SkyView Autopliopt module ($645). It controls the autopilot servos as well as the standard trim servos. It also enables “Auto Trim” when the autopilot is engaged. I assume the Garmin autopilot control does the same so no need to replicate the function.

For Wig/Wag, as you know this is a feature on lighting options like “The Works” from FlyLed. At $700 for everything ($599 for the landing/ nav lights and wingtip strobes, $99 for the Tail light and strobe) you have a great deal on a good product.

For all the “electronic breaker” stuff in the VPX, too many eggs in one basket for me. I run dual, independent avionic busses and simple breakers work well for me. I never have “brown out” during engine start (I assume this is the GAD 27 voltage stabilizer function).

Carl
Not often Carl and I agree, but in this rare case we think alike.
For 1/3 the price breakers/switches are more reliable, don’t need a computer runnings my electrical system.

Apple and oranges, they don't compare. I also agree with Walt here, I personally have not been willing to put all my eggs in one basket especially considering the history of this product/company.

Happy VPX-Sport user here. Flaps, Trim, Wig-wag as others noted above. Integrates my AFS PFD and MFD and Garmin stack. Acknowledge the "single point" failure potential, but it's been completely trouble free for 5 years, and I'll likely put one in my current build. Very intuitive installation and operation.

I didn't need the additional circuits or the dual power inputs/dual processors that come in the Pro, but this would offer additional redundancy compared to the Sport if that would let you sleep better at night!

Phil
KBTF
Salt Lake City
RV-10 built/flying
Murphy Moose, building

The GAD-27 is a convenient way to package a bunch of functions usually provided by relays that have to be mounted and integrated separately. The VPX is a complete computerized ”electrical system” - so I agree without eh guys saying that you’re comparing apples to oranges. Yes, they are both fruit, but they are very different fruit!

I’d list all the functions you are trying to install, then build a spreadsheet (I love spreadsheets!) with a column for discrete components, GAD-27, and VPX and compare costs for each case. That’s what I am doign right now for the Rocket project - since I have a Garmin G3X system going in, the GAD is the “automation” option that makes the most sense IF I ned an automation option, and the price comes out similar to discrete components. But I haven’t done the math yet to make the decision…..

I hope this doesn't come across as a frequently-asked-question, but I have done quite a bit of research and can't quite answer my question on this.

The VPX-Pro is primarily an electrical distribution system and can be used to replace some of your fuses and/or breakers. But it also performs other functions, particularly flap control and trim control.

Limited circuits in an expensive box that is itself a computer and capable of failing. Simple fuse block reduces cost, weight, complexity.
Garmin's GAD 27 can also do flap control and trim control. It can't replace any fuses/breakers, but it does have a few extra things: Wig Wag (which I will have from Fly LEDs anyways), Lighting Controller, Voltage Stabilizer (won't need this w/ IBBS), and extra discrete inputs into the G3X Touch system.

Reconsider what you call 'voltage stabilizer' and what Garmin calls 'keep alive'. The IBBS won't be able to power all the LRUS. Add those to the GAD 27 and eliminate the need for an avionics bus. Turn on the entire aircraft, set up the panel before engine start, start the engine and go.
In a -10 the extra discreets are almost mandatory. Many uses for these inputs. Having a GAD means that the system is integrating all the functions. Trim, flap control, etc all work seemlessly for things like speed control of trim, overspeed protection and warning for flaps, out of takeoff position for flaps and trim, and any other function that needs to compare values from separate LRU's.
I'm building an RV-10 and was planning on using the G3X Touch suite, Garmin autopilot servos, and Van's elevator trim/aileron trim/flaps servos. I'm debating on VPX-Pro vs GAD 27.

My questions:
  • What does dimming look like without the GAD 27? I admittedly haven't dug into this much. If I had a VPX-Pro and no GAD 27 would I be limited to a single potentiometer for panel dimming?
  • Does the GAD 27 do flaps and/or trim BETTER than the VPX-Pro? If I buy the VPX-Pro instead of the GAD 27 what functionality do I lose?

Limited circuits in an expensive box that is itself a computer and capable of failing. Simple fuse block reduces cost, weight, complexity.

Respectfully disagree, the VPX Pro has dual banks of solid-state breakers for redundancy if you choose to use it that way and reduces complexity *CONSIDERABLY* .

You can still decide to use physical breakers as well, separate from the VPX, if you really want to isolate certain systems.

You also get to see the actual amp draw of individual circuits right on the screen, which is immensely helpful, and it's integrated with the G3X very nicely.

I'd bet 30 CB's and associated wiring, buss bars, etc, weighs as much or more as a VPX.

The solid-state PPS is also a very nice upgrade that can be installed with or without a VPX. But when used with the VPX you get additional information and functionality.

The brown out issue that has come up is an electrical system design problem, nothing to do with the VPX. Never had any issues.

However, you can find where old versions, before the VPX Pro or Sport, had problems, but that information is not relevant to the modern VPX.

Furthermore, I've seen some electrical systems that in and of themselves are prone to failure ... wires chaffing, soldered connections, hacked on equipment, the list is so long ...

Last edited:
Respectfully disagree, the VPX Pro has dual banks of solid-state breakers for redundancy if you choose to use it that way and reduces complexity *CONSIDERABLY* .

You can still decide to use physical breakers as well, separate from the VPX, if you really want to isolate certain systems.

You also get to see the actual amp draw of individual circuits right on the screen, which is immensely helpful, and it's integrated with the G3X very nicely.

I'd bet 30 CB's and associated wiring, buss bars, etc, weighs as much or more as a VPX.

The solid-state PPS is also a very nice upgrade that can be installed with or without a VPX. But when used with the VPX you get additional information and functionality.

The brown out issue that has come up is an electrical system design problem, nothing to do with the VPX. Never had any issues.

However, you can find where old versions, before the VPX Pro or Sport, had problems, but that information is not relevant to the modern VPX.

Furthermore, I've seen some electrical systems that in and of themselves are prone to failure ... wires chaffing, soldered connections, hacked on equipment, the list is so long ...
I agree!

The VP-X has many advantages, not the least of which is keeping the panel from being "hot". It's an excellent device IMO.

I do think that the GAD27 has one advantage for running the flap system over using the VPX as the flap controller, and that is a "flap selected position" caret on the GDU in addition to the "flap current position" caret. Still researching this however....