Dorfie

Well Known Member
Antenna mounting instructions specifically call for NAS388-08-16 screws. The supplied screws are 1" long. To mount through he canopy of the RV10 I need 2.25" screws. So far I have been unable to find such screws.
Hope someone can help.
Thanks.
Johan
(The NAS388 is described as 82 degree, Oval recessed machine screws. The supplied ones are stainless steel)

Sounds like the typical stainless ones from the ACE aviation department. You will probably have to cut one down to get 2 1/4 inches length though.

Does Garmin also call out countersunk star washers at the antenna end?

Sounds like the typical stainless ones from the ACE aviation department. You will probably have to cut one down to get 2 1/4 inches length though.

Does Garmin also call out countersunk star washers at the antenna end?

Gil,
Thank you. That's a relief. Are the "ACE" aviation ones 82 degrees? The aviation stuff are all 100 degrees I believe??
I have not seen a callout for countersunk star washers.
Johan

Gil,
Thank you. That's a relief. Are the "ACE" aviation ones 82 degrees? The aviation stuff are all 100 degrees I believe??
I have not seen a callout for countersunk star washers.
Johan

Yep... "standard" hardware store stuff is 82 degree countersunk...

Some antenna installations call for countersunk star washers under the heads of the mounting screws. You can get them but they are harder to find and are not in the ACE aviation aisle.

Yep... "standard" hardware store stuff is 82 degree countersunk...

Some antenna installations call for countersunk star washers under the heads of the mounting screws. You can get them but they are harder to find and are not in the ACE aviation aisle.

I think the star washers are called out when a good electrical connection is needed, e.g., if the antenna needs a ground plane and the bolts are used to electrically connect to it. If/when that's the case, then obviously you have to install a ground plane under the 10's fiberglass cabin top. BTW, Vans does not endorse drilling any non-plans holes in the cabin top, although many have done so.

Thanks Mike,
Funny that you recommended this. I actually have Brantel's summary of recommendations in post #6 printed out and on my workbench as I am installing the antennas!!
The one I am struggling with is the one that says not to have 2 GPS antennas in same line front to back. So I don't know how far off the longitudinal axis is far enough off line??? Any ideas?
Johan

I think the star washers are called out when a good electrical connection is needed, e.g., if the antenna needs a ground plane and the bolts are used to electrically connect to it. If/when that's the case, then obviously you have to install a ground plane under the 10's fiberglass cabin top. BTW, Vans does not endorse drilling any non-plans holes in the cabin top, although many have done so.

Bob,
I cannot quite figure out if the GPS antenna needs a ground plane? So many of them are on top of the glareshield! From reading the G3X installation manual I get no wiser.
Would like to know though.
Johan

Bob,
I cannot quite figure out if the GPS antenna needs a ground plane? So many of them are on top of the glareshield! From reading the G3X installation manual I get no wiser.
Would like to know though.
Johan

This came off the Comant web site...

The Comant GPS design does not require a ground plane. To assure maximum protection from a possible lightning strike in a metal or metal and fabric aircraft, the antenna base should conduct to the mounting surface.

Other manufacturers may be different, but it sounds more like bonding for static rather than a ground plane for RF.