videobobk

Well Known Member
Friend
I know a fellow who develops data recorders/transmitters for Indy cars and NHRA dragsters, etc. He is considering developing a box for GA aircraft, but has had little help from the likes of Piper, Cessna, etc. I suggested RVs for testing/development and he liked the idea. He is aware of the RV community, and respects the aircraft. The NTSB had suggested using experimental aircraft, also.

Details: These would cost hundreds, not thousands, and record a very high number of parameters, including control position. They could be played back easily, and would be small and rugged. They would tie in to glass panel units, auto pilots, GPS, etc. Sounds complicated...

Questions: Would you be willing to beta-test? Is there a need/market for things like this? Personally, I don't see the need, but the price seems right, and they might be great diagnostic tools. Also, I would hate to see something like this become required equipment. Your thoughts?

Bob

They want to record everything I do in my own airplane? Isn't there enough surveillance while I drive? I love electronic boxes and gizmos and all, more than I should really, but not when they can and would be used against me. I suspect the GA soft response is because buyers would look very unfavorably upon a manufacturer forcing such a device on them prior to the government requiring it. That day will come soon enough I'm sure...and I'll fight it every step of the way.

Last edited:
I could do it but I don't fly every day :) My platform is Day VFR only with minimum instrumentation all steam.