flickroll

Well Known Member
Does anyone know if the standard connection harnesses that come with the 796 have data wires in them? I have a 796 with the standard connectors that came in the box, and a GDL 39 with a bare wire connector. Looks like I need a bare wire connector for the 796 and wondered if the data wires are buried in one of the stock cables that came with the unit. I suspect not...

I am trying to replace a 696 that communicated with an AFS system and did radio freq transfers to an SL30. I'm thinking I need to buy the bare wire 796 connector but wanted to see if anyone has opened up a standard 796 connector to see what's in there before I spend $60 for a 796 bare wire connector.

Thanks

Aera 796 Cable Wiring

Hello Flickroll,

I just looked up the wiring harness for the Aera 79X bare wire cable (010-11756-01) and compared it to the harness for the Aera 79X standard aviation mount cable (010-11756-00).

The four wires used to connect devices to the 2 serial ports on the Aera 79X are only present in the bare wire cable.

Customers that don't have a need for anything connected to the serial ports want the harness as small and light as possible, so the extra unused wires are not added in the standard aviation mount cable. You will indeed need a bare wire mount to connect the Aera 79X to the GDL39 bare wire harness.

Let us know if you have additional questions.

Steve

Steve, I intend to mount my GDL 39 behind the panel, and connect it to an external antenna. Looks like I'll need one of these: http://www.amazon.com/BNC-Male-SMA-Coax-Adapter/dp/B001T75RGK/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&qid=1344777244&sr=8-12&keywords=sma+bnc to adapt the SMA connector to BNC so I can run RG400 to an external transponder antenna. Is there anything else that I need to do to remotely mount the GDL 39 other than using a GDL 39 bare wire/data cable and an external GPS antenna? Or can you suggest another way of connecting an external antenna to the GDL 39? Thanks

Jim

Jim,

Pretty sure you have it correct. I plan to do the same with mine when I convert to the G3X panel.

Depending on how it is mounted, you might want a 90° version of that adaptor.

Also you might want the opposite sex on the BNC end since male plugs are more common on cables.

Last edited:
Brian, thanks for the reply. I had considered the right angle version of the adapter, however the way the GDL 39 will be mounted behind my panel lends itself to a straght adapter. I've got about 6 ea. male and female BNC connectors on hand for which Stein gladly took my moola :)