bsacks05

Well Known Member
I don't know what to do.
A few months ago I bought a GDL 39 and used it successfully bluetoothed with my tablet running GPilot. At OSH this year I bought a slightly used Garmin 796. The unit had about 20hrs showing in the log and works flawlessly so far.

When I returned from OSH, I installed the 796 in the center of my panel. I successfully paired the 796 and GDL39 but less than a minute later the '39 shut off, power and bluetooth, dark no matter what I tried. I swapped '39s with my hangar neighbor to eliminate a power issue.

I called Garmin, explained the problem and they exchanged mine for a new one. I also changed the way I wired the power cable to eliminate any possible interference there. However, I experienced the exact same results...good power, good bluetooth pairing, then the GDL39 goes dead after less than a minute.

One more time with Garmin...I can tell they are getting irritated with me....they made another exchange. It arrived yesterday, surely it wouldn't happen again, but it did.:confused:

It is something about the bluetooth because all is well until the pairing happens. The 796, GDL39, and the XM smart antenna (for music) are all within about 6 inches of each other.

I will call Garmin again. I don't expect or even want them to send me another one. I really need to know what is going on. I can't be the only one who has experienced this. Anyone else?

After I call Garmin I will call XM to start up my WX subscription since the Smart Antenna is already there. I hate to do that because the ADS-B is the reason I gave up XM/WX to begin with.

Any suggestions?

Last edited:
Yes, contact Steve directly via a PM to G3XPERT and he will help or get you in touch with folks that can.

Is it possible that your 796 does not have the most recent firmware? Is it possible that your GDL39 does not and the 796 is trying to update it?

The problem did not happen until you added the 796------therefore, the most likely suspect is the 796.

You mentioned it was used............wonder why the previous owner got rid of it.:confused:

Hello Bruce,

Please send us an email via G3Xpert and I am sure we can get you fixed up.

Thanks,
Steve

BTW, I use a 796 Bluetooth linked to a GDL 39 all day, every day and it is rock solid. You must have something that needs fixing.

Last edited:
Good call Mike. Yes the problem does seem to be with the 796 and the Garmin folks are being very helpful. Should be resolved soon.

I haven't called XM/WX yet. :)

Bruce - I can tell you that 796 + GDL39 is a real pleasure.

I hope you get this figured out soon.

I will say, my GDL39 is wired to my 795 so I can not help much on the bluetooth issue.

I do use the Bluetooth with my smartphone for firmware updates to the GDL39 via the GDP39 Utility App.

You Bagged Your Limit

Bruce, this is all very serious.

Hunting with a death ray is illegal in all 50 states. In addition, there is a season limit of 2 on GDL39, and you have bagged 3 since Oshkosh!

We are going to have to confiscate your RV-9.

Steve

Sorry - our team has had way too much fun with the death ray comment today. :)

796 and GDL39

Bruce
My 796 and GDL39 have been working solid for over a year, in my case they use the hardwire cable and bluetooth from the GDL 39 to the iPad/iPhone. I have the GDL39 on the dash along with the XM smart antenna and have had issues with the XM signal reception when the XM and 39 are right next to each other so I have them separated by about 6 inches, still not sure why the problem as others have not had the same issue but no big deal with the current setup.
I would agree that you should check the firmware status of both units as there have been updates to both. You can update the 39 with the ipad/iphone over bluetooth with the Garmin utility app or the 796 can update the 39 also.

On a different topic I am also building a Hatz and about to start the wings, do you have a builders site?

Resolution

Problem solved - thanks to the folks at Garmin. Tyler and Steve were immensly helpful in getting this little issue resolved, there were some engineers involved also and thanks to them as well.

I won't even pretend to know the details but there was some kind of glitch in the 796 that probably occured when I bought it used and had an update installed at OSH. The glitch manifested itself when the 796 and GDL39 tried to bluetooth pair and the GDL39 would shut down.

I sent the 796 and GDL39 to Garmin. A week later I had my 796 back along with a new GDL39 (plus some other goodies :) ) Excellent customer service!

I flew with the units last night and everything worked flawlessly. Thanks Garmin!