logansc

Well Known Member
I'm feeding the VOR system on my Garmin 530 via a Bob Archer flat VOR-specific antenna. The 530 is driving a panel mounted GI 106A CDI. Haven't had a chance to test it much, but it appears not to be working properly (although all my GPS features appear to work just fine).

Do I need a splitter to make this setup work or is the signal split within the box and fed to the VOR, LOC, AND GS as needed, all within the circuitry of the 530?

Any assistance will be appreciated...

Thanks,

Lee...

I'm feeding the VOR system on my Garmin 530 via a Bob Archer flat VOR-specific antenna. The 530 is driving a panel mounted GI 106A CDI. Haven't had a chance to test it much, but it appears not to be working properly (although all my GPS features appear to work just fine).

Do I need a splitter to make this setup work or is the signal split within the box and fed to the VOR, LOC, AND GS as needed, all within the circuitry of the 530?

Any assistance will be appreciated...

Thanks,

Lee...

Like Tom mentioned, a splitter is needed if you just have a single nav antenna. Per the Garmin installation manual:

Glidescope antenna shall meet TSO C34(). Broadband, 50 Ohm, horizontally polarized with coaxial cable or low-loss splitter used with the VOR/LOC antenna.

Thanks, guys... we spent a lot of time in the 530 installation manual, but I must have missed that.

You should still get a good vor/loc signal with just the single input, the diplexer is just to split off the GS signal.

Didn't know that... thanks, Walt. I don't think I'm seeing a localizer and I know I'm not seeing a glide slope. When I went up to test it I got sidetracked with a buddy this morning and chasing him around in his Lanceair 360.

Another oddity (to me, at least) is that if I select CDI on the 530, it switches the GPS annunciation to VLOC, and then won't switch back. I don't get GPS annunciation (bottom left of the 530 display) until I land, shut it down, and then turn it back on. Don't get that one either.

Thanks for the info...

Lee...

I happen to have a Comant CI507 splitter I just took off my 430 (not needed on the GTN 650). Yes you do need it. $100 incl shipping if you want it. Pls PM me.

Thanks Mark, but it turns out I already have a splitter. Bought it for my previous configuration and didn't need it (part of my confusion this time with the 530), so went looking for it this weekend and actually found it! Wonder of wonders.

I've got one more avionics upgrade to install in a 2-3 weeks---we'll sort this splitter thing out then. Should be a happy camper after that!

Thanks,

Lee...

Hey Lee, I have written about this several times before, but I really did not get very good performance out of the wingtip Archer when I split it to both the VOR and G/S inputs on the 430. It is not real hi-Gain anyway, and when you cut the remaining signal in half, that doesn't help. I eventually just ran the Archer antenna to the VOR/LOC receiver and built a simple 16 inch "stripped Coax" G/S antenna which I tuck in between the windshield and roll-bar on my -8. Works pretty good - raised both the VOR/LOC and G/S reception ranges considerably.

Paul

Thanks, Paul... I get amazing results out of my Bob Archer VHF antenna/SL-40 combo (not split, of course), better than the G530 does with a Comant. Didn't think I would lose much with essentially the identical antenna on the VOR. I think I'll just have to try it and see. Thanks for the heads up!

Lee...