rjcthree

Well Known Member
I was traveling this weekend with my 496 in automotive mode. It got me from Bay Village, Ohio to Fishkill, NY with no issues. The return trip I was not so lucky. I searched for home, input the state, the street address, and the database found it. I hit the direct button, and got 'there is no direct route to destination' with a projected path nearly due south and a distance to destination of over 9000 miles.

So I tried it again tonight. Sitting at my house IN Bay Village, I searched for Bay Village. It shoes up on the map, but when I ask for a route, I get the same message and over 9000 mile distance.

So, what the heck? Anybody run into this before? Kinda of a pain that I don't have a home according to Garmin . . . .

New in July 2008, database same. I'm afraid this will also happen in AV mode.

Thoughts?

Rick 90432

Yes, I have used the highway database..

...last year, in Chico, Ca. It took me direct to Walmart but not my brother's house in nearby Paradise. It told me to turn at a non-existant street but I figured it out.

The 496 is not nearly as accurate in Street mode as in Aviation mode. I use mine daily to access user waypoints of my spray customers (155 of them) and it never fails.

YMMV,

Selected state first, then street address . . .

I tried about every combination - resorting to writing the permutations down as an experiment of sorts - all to the same result. Even sitting IN Bay Village or nearby Westlake, there are no roads to my destination. I have yet to pick some random addresses in nearby cities to see if I can find them. The 496 stored the address, even though it can't find a way there . . .

Rick 90432

Selected state first, then street address . . .

I tried about every combination - resorting to writing the permutations down as an experiment of sorts - all to the same result. Even sitting IN Bay Village or nearby Westlake, there are no roads to my destination. I have yet to pick some random addresses in nearby cities to see if I can find them. The 496 stored the address, even though it can't find a way there . . .

Rick 90432

Maybe the street database got deselected on your 496 by mistake?

Don't have my 496 here now, but try to go to the Map page in the Setup menu, and make sure you have the correct map checked, otherwise the 496 will not use the street map and won't be able to route an address.

I've always selected the much higher resolution street database even when flying, sometimes the default basemap here in Europe lacks important cities while the street map has them all...

Ciao, Luca