Brunop

I'm building a 12 with G3X instead of the standard avionics package. Would the Dynon sensor package (supplied with RV12 kit) be compatible with G3X?
Most likely not... but would like to check with the experts before changing everything. Thanks a lot, Bruno.

I'm building a 12 with G3X instead of the standard avionics package. Would the Dynon sensor package (supplied with RV12

kit) be compatible with G3X?
Most likely not... but would like to check with the experts before changing everything. Thanks a lot, Bruno.

Hello Bruno,

The good news for you is that most of the sensors for the Rotax engine actually come with the engine itself, so there are fewer EFIS-specific sensors than with other engine types. You can see exactly which Rotax-supplied sensors are supported in the G3X system if you peruse the Install Manual. I'd think you should be able to re-use the following:

• CHT (Rotax 965531)
  • Oil temperature (Rotax 965531)
  • Oil pressure (Rotax 956413 or 956415)
  • RPM (if wired per Appendix I in the Install Manual)
  • Carb temp (Rotax 965531)

Because the Rotax engine already comes supplied with most of the required sensors, the Garmin-supplied G3X engine sensor kit for it is pretty small:

• Manifold pressure transducer
  • Fuel pressure transducer
  • EGT thermocouple (x2)
  • Ammeter shunt
  • Miscellaneous connectors and small parts

If you already have EGT thermocouples, you should be able to use them as-is with your G3X system. Likewise, if you have a 50 mV ammeter shunt, it should also work. Depending on which fuel pressure and/or fuel flow transducers you have, they may or may not be compatible - to find out, take a look at Table 8-1 in the G3X Install Manual.

good luck,
- Matt

I'm building a 12 with G3X instead of the standard avionics package. Would the Dynon sensor package (supplied with RV12 kit) be compatible with G3X?

If you have the Kavlico pressure transducers, then everything else should work. The EGT is programmable so it can use most all of them out there, and the AMP shunt should also be usable. That being said, if you want the new package from Garmin the entire kit is less than $300 or you can buy stuff piece/part too. I see Matt beat me to the details!

Cheers,
Stein

Thanks!

Matt, Stein, thanks a lot for your guidance.

Stein folks were kind enough to clarify over the phone today (of course I had some stuff to buy...). The only change seems to be the manifold pressure and perhaps the fuel pressure (still have to check if it is the Kavliko).

Can't wait to power everything up. Thanks again, Bruno.

Maybe a stupid question, but why would you need/want EGT on a Rotax?

Walt! So you can see when you're burning 4.2 gph instead of maybe 4.0. Car gas ain't cheap ya know. What's funny is the mixture screws are located UNDER each carb. You have to remove them both to make any changes (trial and error of course), put em back on, take em back off...etc.

Not a stupid question. Another question is why do you need a $225 fuel flow meter. Mine broke so I turned it off ....ahhh the beauty of glass cockpits.

Pete

Walt! So you can see when you're burning 4.2 gph instead of maybe 4.0. Car gas ain't cheap ya know. What's funny is the mixture screws are located UNDER each carb. You have to remove them both to make any changes (trial and error of course), put em back on, take em back off...etc.

Not a stupid question. Another question is why do you need a $225 fuel flow meter. Mine broke so I turned it off ....ahhh the beauty of glass cockpits.

Pete

Aren't those screws just idle mixture though?