newtech

Well Known Member
Patron
My new panel with a G3X is now flying. The only fault I am getting is a red X through the transponder display. I have a single screen G3X installation with a GTX 327 transponder. I know the red X is because I have the G3X configured for bi-directional communication with the 327 and I am only sending the serial info to the 327. Does the G3X and 327 combo allow the display of the new transponder info at the bottom of the GDU display? If it does I will go ahead and run the data out line from the 327 to the G3X otherwise I will just change the configuration setup.

I did notice the new Release F Users Manual has been released and is available for download. I couldn't be happier with my new GDU-370 and GPSMap 696 panel. If I were doing it all today my second screen would be a GDU-375 but since I have more in my 696 than the current price for a GDU-370 I don't see a two screen G3X in my future:(

My new panel with a G3X is now flying. The only fault I am getting is a red X through the transponder display. I have a single screen G3X installation with a GTX 327 transponder. I know the red X is because I have the G3X configured for bi-directional communication with the 327 and I am only sending the serial info to the 327. Does the G3X and 327 combo allow the display of the new transponder info at the bottom of the GDU display? If it does I will go ahead and run the data out line from the 327 to the G3X otherwise I will just change the configuration setup.

What's happening is that you've configured the G3X software to control your transponder, but without a bi-directional RS-232 connection it can't do it, hence the failure warning. So you can do one of two things:

1. Go to the XPDR CONFIG page and change "transponder type" to "None". Your G3X system will no longer try to control the transponder, so the failure warning will go away. The transponder will still receive altitude encoder and groundspeed data from your GSU 73, since that's always transmitted. No wiring changes needed.

2. Add another RS-232 wire between the transponder and GSU 73 as shown in figure F-1.3 in the install manual (rev F). Now you'll be able to set the transponder code from the G3X PFD in addition to using the buttons on the transponder front panel.

Personally, if I had a GTX 327 already installed, I probably would go with #1 rather than laying on my back to install another wire. Setting the transponder code from the PFD is nice, but not necessary if you can just reach out your hand and set the code on the front panel of the transponder instead. Now if you had a remote-mount transponder with no front face, it would be another story. :)

good luck,
mcb

What's happening is that you've configured the G3X software to control your transponder, but without a bi-directional RS-232 connection it can't do it, hence the failure warning. So you can do one of two things:

1. Go to the XPDR CONFIG page and change "transponder type" to "None". Your G3X system will no longer try to control the transponder, so the failure warning will go away. The transponder will still receive altitude encoder and groundspeed data from your GSU 73, since that's always transmitted. No wiring changes needed.

2. Add another RS-232 wire between the transponder and GSU 73 as shown in figure F-1.3 in the install manual (rev F). Now you'll be able to set the transponder code from the G3X PFD in addition to using the buttons on the transponder front panel.

Personally, if I had a GTX 327 already installed, I probably would go with #1 rather than laying on my back to install another wire. Setting the transponder code from the PFD is nice, but not necessary if you can just reach out your hand and set the code on the front panel of the transponder instead. Now if you had a remote-mount transponder with no front face, it would be another story. :)

good luck,
mcb

Apart from losing the additional display, is there any reason not to remote mount the 327?

In a tight panel it might make a difference...

Say Matt...

In addition to James' question, will the GTN650 do the same trick as the G3X with the 327 transponder if wired properly?

Thanks!

Apart from losing the additional display, is there any reason not to remote mount the 327?

In a tight panel it might make a difference...

If you mean can you mount a GTX 327 somewhere where it's not accessible to the pilot, I think I'd probably use a transponder that was designed for remote mounting instead.

If you mean can you mount the GTX 327 over on the right side of the panel where it's visible to the pilot but not totally convenient to reach, and set the code through the G3X display, then sure you can do this.

mcb

In addition to James' question, will the GTN650 do the same trick as the G3X with the 327 transponder if wired properly?

As I understand it, the GTN series is designed to control only the GTX32/33 remote mount transponders, not a 327/330 panel-mounted transponder. So I think the answer here is 'no'.

mcb

I've been playing with the Transponder remote control for awhile (in the shop of course), and it works just fine if you run the additional wire as Matt suggests. But....it's a whole lot quicker to set a code with the buttons on the face of the transponder than with the joystick on the G3X. Nice feature to have as a backup, and might be good for a quick Ident.....

Paul