Bluelabel

Well Known Member
I need to purchase databases for my set up. 2 Screen G3X Touch with a GTN 650 and will be flying IFR, but for now, no plans to leave the US. I have a recommendation from the G3X guys to just purchase the Jepp Nav Data ($465/yr) for the GTN and purchase the US Lite Database for the G3X.($149/yr)

But I'm a little confused so I want to make sure it's what I want.

What are you guys using? and how do you like it? How do you use it?

Thanks,
John

I need to purchase databases for my set up. 2 Screen G3X Touch with a GTN 650 and will be flying IFR, but for now, no plans to leave the US. I have a recommendation from the G3X guys to just purchase the Jepp Nav Data ($465/yr) for the GTN and purchase the US Lite Database for the G3X.($149/yr)

But I'm a little confused so I want to make sure it's what I want.

What are you guys using? and how do you like it? How do you use it?

Thanks,
John

The problem with the 650 is that there are five databases in which Garmin licenses:

Basemap
Obstacle
Terrain
Safetaxi
Navigation

The basemap, terrain, and safetaxi data probably don't change often. I suspect that safetaxi is the most volatile of the three. (i.e. I know of multiple airports that have runways and taxiways closed for the summer)

Obstacles will change as towers are built.

Navigation is the only real mandatory data that may change every period. I know that many folks only subscribe to this single update. It appears that the Nav data from Garmin is the same price as Jepp. I don't know why you would purchase one over the other.

I've done quite a bit of analysis to determine the most cost effective method of subscribing to the databases. Garmin marketing has done a great job with the pricing model :mad: in Garmin's favor. I don't have the analysis in front of me, but if I recall correctly, if you want more than just two of the databases, it's cheaper to buy the whole bundle. The same with buying period updates individually (i.e. only become legal when you schedule IFR flights). I think it was three updates and it's a better deal to buy a year subscription.

The bottom line is that there really isn't a more cost effective way to keep all the databases current other than the Garmin bundles. I've resigned myself that it's a cost of entry to flying IFR. If somebody has figured out how to stay current in a more cost effective manner, I'm all ears.

I don't have G3X screens, so I can't comment on them. My AFS map data has free updates and the charts for the 5000 series can be had for $100/yr. The older 4500 series is $400/yr.

John,

There is another thread on this exact topic.

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=116342

This gets you what need for IFR.

If you use your G3X Touch to load frequencies to GTR200 or GTR20, the above combination does leave you with one gap. The G3X Touch database package will not have the airport approach/departure frequencies and will not have the Center frequencies. To get that, you need to move up the scale on the G3X Touch database package to the "Americas" offering which is around $270.

(The above may change in the future of the new database packages of the 660 and 796 are any indication).

I figure there are certain costs to flying/ owning an airplane. I don't complain about fuel prices or go out of my way to find a few cents off. I also pay the piper for what it takes to be current with IFR NAV data.
I use the US-Standard + Flitecharts Pilot Pak = $972

John,

There is another thread on this exact topic.

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=116342

This gets you what need for IFR.

If you use your G3X Touch to load frequencies to GTR200 or GTR20, the above combination does leave you with one gap. The G3X Touch database package will not have the airport approach/departure frequencies and will not have the Center frequencies. To get that, you need to move up the scale on the G3X Touch database package to the "Americas" offering which is around $270.

(The above may change in the future of the new database packages of the 660 and 796 are any indication).

Good idea, I might start with the US and see how I like it. Garmin is pretty good about letting you upgrade or change your database.

Any other feedback from people using this setup?

I figure there are certain costs to flying/ owning an airplane. I don't complain about fuel prices or go out of my way to find a few cents off. I also pay the piper for what it takes to be current with IFR NAV data.
I use the US-Standard + Flitecharts Pilot Pak = $972

Ditto. It's coverage is overkill for me but I prefer current Flitecharts in addition to the IFR Nav data so the PilotPak is the best option. The rest of the databases are just gravy.