penguin

Well Known Member
Patron
Dear All,
I'm working on the details of retrofitting a G3X Touch in my RV-6, I would like to use the Master Warning and Caution annunciator outputs provided by the GEA 24 on pins 44 & 45.

The problem I am having is respecting the 20mA limit on these pins while using aircraft power. I have found some LED annunciator lights that pull only 14mA but can only tolerate 12v (+10%). Feeding the lamp with 14v (or more) is likely to significantly shorten the service life. I might get away with it for a while but why build in a potential failure? Rather than leaving it to chance I have been looking for a 12v output from the GEA that I could use to power these lamps. On J244 pin 50 is an output GP +12v, does anyone know of a reason not to use this output? It looks like the output can be used to power discrete inputs such as gear position or squat switch. I don't have any of those so am not planning to use this supply for any other purpose.
Pete

Section 23.4.18 in the current G3X installation manual (revision AV) specifies the current limits for the various transducer power output pins on the GEA 24. However, it doesn't matter where the 12V power comes from if your lamps will require the GEA 24's annunciator output pins to sink more than 20 mA. You will need to either find different lamps, or use a simple transistor circuit.