maus92

Well Known Member
I purchased the new EarthEx battery at Oshkosh this summer, and installed it today. There is a lead that exits the battery that is used either to activate an LED warning when the battery has a fault, or alternatively, provides a signal to an EFIS. There is a 1K pull up resistor involved, which is connected between a +5-12V source (which can be the battery + terminal) and the EFIS signal line. It *looks* like the internal battery side of the signal line gets grounded when a fault is detected. My question is how to configure the discrete input on the GEA-24 EIS. Any suggestions?

2ut56xi.png

Last edited:
I purchased the new EarthEx battery at Oshkosh this summer, and installed it today. There is a lead that exits the battery that is used either to activate an LED warning when the battery has a fault, or alternatively, provides a signal to an EFIS. There is a 1K pull up resistor involved, which is connected between a +5-12V source (which can be the battery + terminal) and the EFIS signal line. It *looks* like the internal battery side of the signal line gets grounded when a fault is detected. My question is how to configure the discrete input on the GEA-24 EIS. Any suggestions?

Hello Charley,

We wouldn't know for sure without testing with this circuit, but we believe you can skip the pull up resistor shown in this image, configure a GEA 24 input discrete as an active low input (which provides an internal pull up), and it should work fine to generate a crew alert.

Thanks,
Steve

OK, thanks. I had wired up the circuit as shown in the drawing this morning, with the pull up resistor. Buttoned up the cowling, THEN read your response. Oops.... Anyway, I reached in through the oil filler access door, and clipped the +12v leg with the resistor at the + batt terminal , and temporarily tied it off until I can fully remove it next time the cowling comes off. Then I set up discrete #4 as active low. Hope I did the right thing (by clipping the wire, and not supplying +12V to the circuit.) I'm unclear if there is any way to test it besides draining the battery, and I'm pretty sure that's not a good thing :)

Last edited: