dweyant

Well Known Member
I can't seem to figure out how to setup the PFD to show the traffic inset by default. I had my RV-9A setup to do this, but my new plane (RV-14A) doesn't and I have to turn it on every flight.

Anyone remember how to set this?

Thanks,

-Dan

I can't seem to figure out how to setup the PFD to show the traffic inset by default. I had my RV-9A setup to do this, but my new plane (RV-14A) doesn't and I have to turn it on every flight.

Anyone remember how to set this?

Thanks,

-Dan
With PFD full screen press MENU and you will have an option button for INSET. Tap this and a menu of options for in inset will present. Choose TRAFFIC.

With PFD full screen press MENU and you will have an option button for INSET. Tap this and a menu of options for in inset will present. Choose TRAFFIC.
Thanks Jayson, but I"m looking for a config setting that has the traffic inset show up by default on every flight. That just turns it on for the current flight.

-Dan

Thanks Jayson, but I"m looking for a config setting that has the traffic inset show up by default on every flight. That just turns it on for the current flight.

-Dan
Mine defaults to whatever was chosen last shutdown. Always has. Sorry, I can't offer any insight into how to set default to most recent.

Recently ran into this same problem. As far as I can tell the issue is the traffic source hasn't booted up yet, so the display doesn't realize it has a traffic source available, so the inset doesn't default to traffic. I asked Garmin for help and they said it can't be set. The work around I found is to set the display to default to split screen on boot up, that way it doesn't look for the traffic inset right away. I decided to have it default to split screen with engine page, since that's what I need right away for the engine start. After the system boots up in split screen, once you go to full screen the traffic inset will be there (if that's how you last had it). Kinda annoying, but so it goes. If you find a proper fix, please let me know.

Recently ran into this same problem. As far as I can tell the issue is the traffic source hasn't booted up yet, so the display doesn't realize it has a traffic source available, so the inset doesn't default to traffic. I asked Garmin for help and they said it can't be set. The work around I found is to set the display to default to split screen on boot up, that way it doesn't look for the traffic inset right away. I decided to have it default to split screen with engine page, since that's what I need right away for the engine start. After the system boots up in split screen, once you go to full screen the traffic inset will be there (if that's how you last had it). Kinda annoying, but so it goes. If you find a proper fix, please let me know.
Thanks that sort of makes sense. Have to go back and look at how the 9 was wired. It stayed with the traffic default.

-Dan

There must be a way, because mine is set up with a map in the lower left and traffic in the lower right. I don’t recall setting it this way, but someone did (maybe me?). 🤔 It comes on that way whether in the hangar or not.

There must be a way, because mine is set up with a map in the lower left and traffic in the lower right. I don’t recall setting it this way, but someone did (maybe me?). 🤔 It comes on that way whether in the hangar or not.
What is your traffic source? The plane I was setting up has a GTX45R using an RS-232 connection. Not sure if it makes a difference; just trying to think of anything that could cause a different behavior. If you don't have a 45R, maybe the traffic source you're using boots up faster; if you do, then I don't know. Inside/outside shouldn't make a difference because when the PFD isn't receiving traffic messages it states "No Traffic" in the inset, but if it doesn't see a traffic source connected you don't get the option to even display the inset. My theory is that it's an issue of the traffic source having booted up first or in time for the display to see a traffic source when it sets the insets on startup. Again, if there is a way, I'd love to know since work-arounds are just that. Garmin told me it can't be set as the default; maybe I talked with someone that doesn't really know the system.

What is your traffic source? The plane I was setting up has a GTX45R using an RS-232 connection. Not sure if it makes a difference; just trying to think of anything that could cause a different behavior. If you don't have a 45R, maybe the traffic source you're using boots up faster; if you do, then I don't know. Inside/outside shouldn't make a difference because when the PFD isn't receiving traffic messages it states "No Traffic" in the inset, but if it doesn't see a traffic source connected you don't get the option to even display the inset. My theory is that it's an issue of the traffic source having booted up first or in time for the display to see a traffic source when it sets the insets on startup. Again, if there is a way, I'd love to know since work-arounds are just that. Garmin told me it can't be set as the default; maybe I talked with someone that doesn't really know the system.
I also have a 45R. Did my database update yesterday and I get the traffic display in the hangar even though I get a message saying adsb failed. Curious.

I also have a 45R. Did my database update yesterday and I get the traffic display in the hangar even though I get a message saying adsb failed. Curious.
When you say your getting traffic with ADSB failed, is it nearby? I'm not sure how the 45R behaves, but on the G-1000, you'll get local traffic even if you're on the ground. It's part of the safe taxi feature.

When you say your getting traffic with ADSB failed, is it nearby? I'm not sure how the 45R behaves, but on the G-1000, you'll get local traffic even if you're on the ground. It's part of the safe taxi feature.
I get the traffic display, even if I am in the hangar and get a failure to connect to adsb message. I was responding to the problem fredy2 was having getting the traffic display to automatically show on the screen.