bjdecker

Well Known Member
Ambassador
Good morning aviators!

I'm having a little trouble deciphering Garmin-Speak/Logic in the AoA configuration for my RV-7.

The pertinent speeds from my aircraft are as follows:

Vs (Stall speed - clean): 54 Kias
Vs0 (Stall speed - 45° flaps): 47 Kias
Vs1 (Stall speed - 15° flaps): 52 Kias
Vat / Vref: 61 Kias

From the G3X Installation Manual, Revision AV, page 30-37:

The settings tab in this menu contains 3 options:
1.Enable AOA Above - Airspeed above which AOA information will appear to the pilot.
2.Disable AOA on Ground Below - Airspeed below which AOA information will be removed from display to the pilot.

My inference from #1 is that the AoA will “come alive” at the airspeed specified and stay there until…the tail comes off?? Vne???. #2 is a little more clear; turn off the AoA on the ground at this airspeed…I think.

I suppose the question I should be asking is how these values interact with the Minimum Visible AoA value (recommended 150% of Vs, Vs0), Caution Alert AOA value (110% of Vs, Vs0), and Stall Warning AoA (Vs).

Here’s the challenge: I don’t want to see the AoA on the PFD/MFD when I am flying above a certain airspeed, for arguments sake, let’s say 80 Kias. (150% of Vs). I also don’t want to be bothered by the AoA display or tones once I’m on the ground and rolling out, which in practice is about 50 Kias (which is about Vs0 - Full Flaps).

As currently configured, I get the AoA indication and tones during take off right about when I lift the tail *and* during the landing, flare/round out, touchdown and roll out...

Cheers!

Brian

Good morning aviators!

I'm having a little trouble deciphering Garmin-Speak/Logic in the AoA configuration for my RV-7.

The pertinent speeds from my aircraft are as follows:

Vs (Stall speed - clean): 54 Kias
Vs0 (Stall speed - 45° flaps): 47 Kias
Vs1 (Stall speed - 15° flaps): 52 Kias
Vat / Vref: 61 Kias

From the G3X Installation Manual, Revision AV, page 30-37:

The settings tab in this menu contains 3 options:
1.Enable AOA Above - Airspeed above which AOA information will appear to the pilot.
2.Disable AOA on Ground Below - Airspeed below which AOA information will be removed from display to the pilot.

My inference from #1 is that the AoA will “come alive” at the airspeed specified and stay there until…the tail comes off?? Vne???. #2 is a little more clear; turn off the AoA on the ground at this airspeed…I think.

I suppose the question I should be asking is how these values interact with the Minimum Visible AoA value (recommended 150% of Vs, Vs0), Caution Alert AOA value (110% of Vs, Vs0), and Stall Warning AoA (Vs).

Here’s the challenge: I don’t want to see the AoA on the PFD/MFD when I am flying above a certain airspeed, for arguments sake, let’s say 80 Kias. (150% of Vs). I also don’t want to be bothered by the AoA display or tones once I’m on the ground and rolling out, which in practice is about 50 Kias (which is about Vs0 - Full Flaps).

As currently configured, I get the AoA indication and tones during take off right about when I lift the tail *and* during the landing, flare/round out, touchdown and roll out...

Cheers!

Brian
I set the speed for which AOA information to appear at 81kts (flap extension speed for RV-12iS)

Then for the next speed setting (I forget what that is labeled in the config screen) I did slow flight at a speed where I had sufficient aileron response (with flaps that was about 55kts in the -12iS)

Then for the final setting you will actually put your plane in a stall and tap the capture button on the config screen at that speed (lots of activity and I did not see the actual speed as I was tapping the screen, adding power and performing stall recovery but believe it was right at 43kts in the -12iS)

Then you repeat this process but with no flaps (assuming you are currently on firmware version 9.41)

Then for the final setting you will actually put your plane in a stall and tap the capture button on the config screen at that speed (lots of activity and I did not see the actual speed as I was tapping the screen, adding power and performing stall recovery but believe it was right at 43kts in the -12iS)

Just a reminder that you don't interact with the screen at all during the stall maneuver, only before and after.

Edit to quote the on-screen instructions that you read when you perform the calibration:

Perform a power-off stall and recover back to level flight.

The maximum angle of attack sensed during the maneuver will be used to calibrate the AOA threshold for stall warning (top of gauge).

Last edited:
Just a reminder that you don't interact with the screen at all during the stall maneuver, only before and after.
Wish I had known that. I was 3,000' AGL so not too much worry but I did tap right at the stall break then pushed nose over and went full power immediately after.