Rick_A

Well Known Member
Now that I've had a chance to fly with G3X Touch 10" (GDU 460) in my -12, I thinking about upgrading the panel in my -7A.

I really like the big 10" screens but I'm also thinking about doing Dual 7" screens on the pilot side. I think having 2 screens on the pilot side makes for a better IFR platform.

I know that in general the functionality is the same, but what are the differences between the GDU 450 & 460 (other than size)?

Is the screen resolution the same? Do all the menus and touch screen function work exactly the same or does the smaller screen area of the GDU 450 result in things working a little differently?

GDU

Rick,

I have a GDU460 on the left side of my 7A and love it. I do have a 450 on the passenger side and mainly leave up the traffic screen when I'm solo. I have really enjoyed using the 10" 460 in split screen (mainly PFD/Map) for IFR approaches (Garmin AP). I'm out at Aero Country so come take a look sometime.

I might have gone with a 460 on the right side too since the $$ aren't that much different in the big picture but couldn't fit it due to location of radio stack, etc.

I also have the AP control panel from Garmin which really keeps me from having to touch or change any screens during approach phase.

Andy

Take a look here (weed out the non relevant images) and you can start to pick out some of the differences as far as the screens go. Bottom line it is a smaller display so some things have to be different to make it usable.

The most obvious difference is how the EMS data is displayed.

Pretty sure they are the same resolution.

Don't think you can have inset windows on the 7" unit.

Here is another image that helps:

VAF_140%20Nov.%2012%2020.06.jpg

Notice the small but still usable way that the screen reorganizes itself when in split mode.

If space had not been a factor for me, I would have 2ea 10" units but I am perfectly satisfied with a 10 and a 7 combo.

Last edited:
Andy, I probably will take a trip over to Aero Country. It would be nice to see the GDU 450 in person. Thanks for the offer.

Brantel, the pic's you posted are very helpful with trying to visualize the difference between the 450 & 460 displays.