bobmarkert

Well Known Member
There is a thread here on VAF where a builder installed two thermocouples in his engine compartment to measure temperatures and display them on his Dynon Skyview. He talks about "built in tables" to handle the J & K type thermocouples.

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=84256

Not sure of the function of the Skyview "tables" or if this is supported by G3X. Will I be able to do the same thing on my G3X instillation (currently being built by Stein)?

I believe I read recently that Garmin is supporting additional thermocouple inputs but I can't find it. Cue Garmin's amazing VAF support guys, one of them will be here soon to straighten us out.

In the meantime...have you been practicing your radio calls? "Billiam, you're leaving me in the dust....give me one. Billiam, I've lost ya..."

Check your six Wizard, guns-guns-guns.

:) Cheers Capt Bob....

drug test

Billiam (the delusional),
Expect to be drug tested during your next physical.
By the way, you hanger rent is going up substantially. :)

Last edited:
Hello Bob,

With your G3X system you can monitor an "auxiliary/miscellaneous" temperature using either a thermistor or an RTD probe. I'd recommend using a thermistor since they can be obtained inexpensively from your local automotive emporium. For further information, see section 18.3.2.13 of the G3X Installation Manual

- Matt

Last edited:
Hello Bob,

The link you posted is a thermocouple sensor, which is not currently supported for an aux temperature input in the G3X system (although we might add support for this in the future). Only thermistor and RTD sensors are currently supported. Section 18.3.2.13 of the G3X Installation Manual gives an example thermistor part number, which should be available locally.

- Matt

G3X Gurus
I’m reviving this old post from 7 months ago as I’m attempting to go from theoretical to actual instillation of two temp probes FWF. I want to mount a flat temp sensor directly on my P-mag to monitor its temp and a second sensor to monitor general FWF air temps. Based on your previous post, I need to use a RTD or thermistor. All the RTD sensors I’ve foud have 3 or 4 wire leads that do not conform to the wire color convention outlined in the install manual (excerpt below) which shows using two leads ( http://www.omega.com/pptst/SA1-RTD.html ). Any suggestions on the wiring of these probes or if these probs are not suitable, which ones are? P-mags should not exceed 200F so I'm looking for a probe in that range and these seemed to fit

p5so.jpg

x09z.jpg

myzc.png

Thank You

Last edited:
Hello Bob,

The Omega SA1-RTD sensor you provided a link to is a standard 100 ohm RTD (IEC60751, also referred to as Pt100) which seems like it should work for auxiliary temperature measurement using the MISC TEMP inputs on the GEA 24.

RTD stands for resistance temperature detector. You can think of an RTD as simply a resistor that changes its resistance with changing temperature. An RTD is not the same as a thermistor - they both indicate changing temperature with changing resistance, but an RTD typically has a wider operating range and an essentially linear R-T curve which is much nicer to work with.

In its simplest form, an RTD is a two-terminal device, similar to a rheostat. Three- and four-wire RTDs exist in order to help cancel out effects of sense wire resistance when using long cable runs (click here and here for a discussion of the theory if you're interested). Since we don't need laboratory accuracy and our wire runs are relatively short compared to an industrial setting, you should be able to ignore the extra third wire and treat your RTD as a two-wire sensor, exactly like the UMA RTD you are already using for the oil temperature sensor in your G3X system.

I don't know for sure which wire on that Omega RTD is which, but I would guess that it follows the color conventions shown in the diagram below. If it does, you should be able to clip the extra black wire, but first use your ohm meter to be sure. If you can find a pair of wires between which the measured resistance is approximately 110 ohms at room temperature, then you have found the right wires and you can ignore whatever is left over.

RTDs are non-polarized devices, so it doesn't matter which side connects to MISC TEMP HI or MISC TEMP LO... however I would still follow the "red to HI, black to LO" convention for clarity if nothing else.

good luck,
- Matt

Rock stars

You and the entire G3X team are rock stars!!!!! The install is going well because of excellent documentation from Stein and the G3X install manual.
Thanks
Bob