mturnerb

Well Known Member
An FYI:

I did a quick flight yesterday after balancing nosewheel. After the previous flight I had installed the latest software for the G3X system - and thought it was complete.

As part of my pre-takeoff routine, I turn on the autopilot and test ability to overcome the servos. When I did tried to turn on the AP on the ground, I got a tone and blinking "AP" on the display, then "updating servo software" messages. Since I was just flying locally I elected to takeoff as usual (no autopilot). While flying the "updating servo software" message stayed on for about 10 minutes (estimating). I had planned to do a few turns in the pattern after a short excursion but elected to do a full stop on the first landing and run my autopilot control check while taxiing back to the departure end. All was well.

Two interesting points:

1. The usual update process apparently didn't include the AP servos. I suppose this may be because I had turned off the autopilot switch when doing the update, but not sure (don't recall if I had it on or off).

2. Updating the servos took much longer than the main software update.

Ha! Same here. I recall I did not turn the AP master on during update either, that must have been it.

I love technology... don't get me wrong.
But, I am starting to worry when our servos need software....
I do troubleshooting for a living (in avionics)
The more software code that lives in a complete system... makes it harder to get it all to play well together. And then the AOG happens. Google that one.