Lancair Super ES

Well Known Member
I've had my dual G3X 46x's for about 3 years now. Done a lot of database updates.

Today, I had an issue. I went to update the PFD and inadvertently put the back end of the SD card in first. Not hard, and did not force it. Realized it was the wrong way. Took card out and inserted correctly. Would not start DB upload. Took same card and it installed in the co-pilot MFD and uploaded without issue.

Did I bend/damage something in the PFD slot? It looks Ok inside to me; nothing obviously wrong or damaged.

Any ideas? Is there a way to cross-fill from one GDU to the other (don't think so , but worth asking)

BTW... I did the Garmin AP calibration exercise on this AP upgrade today. What a great AP and an easy calibration process. Well documented and intuitive.

Thanks

Gordon

SD Card Slot

I've had my dual G3X 46x's for about 3 years now. Done a lot of database updates.

Today, I had an issue. I went to update the PFD and inadvertently put the back end of the SD card in first. Not hard, and did not force it. Realized it was the wrong way. Took card out and inserted correctly. Would not start DB upload. Took same card and it installed in the co-pilot MFD and uploaded without issue.

Did I bend/damage something in the PFD slot? It looks Ok inside to me; nothing obviously wrong or damaged.

Any ideas? Is there a way to cross-fill from one GDU to the other (don't think so , but worth asking)

BTW... I did the Garmin AP calibration exercise on this AP upgrade today. What a great AP and an easy calibration process. Well documented and intuitive.

Thanks

Gordon

Hi Gordon,

It is possible to damage the SD card slot. You can try a few different things to see if the slot is damaged. Try take a screenshot or two to see if the display is able to write to the card. You can also Keep the card in the display during operation to see if a datalog is written to the card. If nothing is being written to the card, it is likely that the SD slot was damaged in some way.

It is probably worth a shot to re-write the databases to a new card and give it another go with the database update.

Let us know how it goes, we can continue looking into this with you.

Thanks,

Justin

Thanks! Will try those things

Thanks Justin. I will try those things this weekend. I'll also attempt to take a pic of the inside of the slot.

And, thanks for the quick reply. You guys are amazing.

update

OK, so I re-formatted the original SD card and re-downloaded the nav data. No joy.

Took a new Sandisk 16g card, formatted it, and downloaded data. No Joy.

Neither card would data log nor accept a screen shot in the PFD's slot. Both would data log and screen shot in the MFD's slot.

I did manage to get a few useable pics using my borecope. Very difficult to get a good pic back there. I will attempt to upload pics to VAF here. Nothing glaringly obvious to me; perhaps the left most pin is bent slightly downward? Alternately, I will just send Justin the pics by e-mail.

Justin, do I dare ask what the flat rate repair cost is on a GDU460?!?

Thanks

Gordon

Attachments

• 1325244274273.jpg
    1325244274273.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 90
  • 1325244274526.jpg
    1325244274526.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 83
  • 1325244275823.jpg
    1325244275823.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 95