HSANTIBANEZ

Well Known Member
Hi there, i have the RPM Slick hall efect RPM sensor installed in the left magneto, at these time i was in the installation process, no engine operation yet.
Mi question is to check the magneto drop before flight, how about the right magneto with these configuration? will the hall efect left magneto sensor get the right magneto RPM drop?

Hi Hernan,

The sensor has no electrical connection to either mag. All it is looking at is the rotation of the shaft/gear inside the magneto housing, so it doens't know whether that shaft is turning the left or right magneto.

Basically the short answer is YES, it shows RPM drop for either Left or Right mag, both.

Cheers,
Stein

Is this the location?

Is that big nut the proper location for the G3X RPM sensor? Did you install it without removing the mag?
IMG_0728.JPG

Thanks,

Is that big nut the proper location for the G3X RPM sensor? Did you install it without removing the mag?
IMG_0728.JPG

Thanks,

Hello Bill,

That looks like the correct plug to me. If you look at the pictures on pages 14-14 and 14-15 of the Rev. J G3X Installation Manual, it will help you confirm this.

When I installed mine with the engine on the plane I found it easier to loosen and rotate the mag to install, then re-time - but I didn't remove it.

You may have plenty of room to install without doing this.

Thanks,
Steve

IMG_0728.JPG

Thanks,

I installed my UMA Hall Effect Tach sensor in the hole you identified on my LASAR mag. It works great on my Dynon D10 EMS.

I recommend taking the mag out to install the sensor. You should turn the mag gear after the sensor is installed to make sure that it is not rubbing on the mag magnet. You will be unable to verify that there is no drag or rubbing with the mag in the engine.

Thanks, Gary & Steve,

This sounds like excellent advice. Now I can learn to time a mag, it was inevitable anyway!

Just a quick hint, but its quicker to do this if you have a slick timing pin and don't forget to trip the impulse coupling when you put it back on (or before you remove it), also remember to time it to the appropriate degree - like 20/25 before TDC....not 0. I agree that's the appropriate port, we have a LOT of folks put it in the other plug on the aft end which is incorrect. Make sure you use the correct hole (typically "L") for the timing pin and also that the pin easily drops ALL the way down to lock up the mag or you may mis-time the mag. Lastly remember to actually remove the pin before you move the prop....or bad things happen!

Almost forgot...a good buzz box will also do the job just fine as well, but the timing pin just speeds the whole process up. With the right tools, this should be less than a half hour job.

Cheers,
Stein

Done!

Followup - - The old mechanic in me decided to try the installation without removal. There was plenty of room to do the removal and installation. I compared the plug and the sensor. They are both the same depth from tip to shoulder. I took a toothpick and held it with a pair of needle nose to see what the clearance was from the rotating assembly (smooth BTW), and there was a good 1/8" additional past the plug/sensor depth. The left mag allowed the wire to come out straight and it threaded in there just like the mag name, slick!.

Thanks for the pointers, I had not thought the clearance. Stein, I did read about the slick pin to hold it in position and the E50's for timing. I will need the tools later, but I will build on for now.