In the Garmin G3X Installation Manual, Fig.G1-2 the pin outs are given for the Ray Allen Trim position sensors.

I am trying to figure out the corresponding Ray Allen wire colors?
(orange blue green)

Rich

Rich,

On a Ray Allen servo or position sensor, the orange, green, and blue wires are connected to the position-sensing potentiometer (documentation here). The green wire is the center wiper of the potentiometer, and the blue and orange wires are connected to either end. So you'd want to connect the green wire to LO, the orange wire to HI, and the blue wire to a GSU signal ground pin. That's how I have it shown in my electrical system schematic (page 16).

good luck,
mcb

Wow Matt that was fast, that sure answers my question.
thanks for your help!

I may have some more questions for you as I go along ;)

Well, the Aileron and Elevator sensors calibrated no problem and are working just fine?

But the Flap Position Sensor is giving me a problem?

I am using a Ray Allen POS-12 position sensor to the following pins:
POS-12..................J732 connector
Orange...................Pin 72
Green.....................Pin 52
Blue........................Pin 18

The problem I am having:
In calibration mode, the ?sensor value? climbs from 0 to 2.5v on its own with the sensor at rest.

Just to verify? I went and put the Flap sensor outputs to the elevator sensor pins 47/67 the sensor showed up and worked fine on the display,
leads me to believe the sensor itself is ok.

I checked the ohm values across the Orange/Green from the POS-12 and got the roughly the following:
0 deg 5.5 ohm
10 deg 3.98 ohm
25 deg 2.01 ohm
Full flaps 0.04 ohm

Any suggestions on what to check for next?
Thanks!
Rich

I can't see anything wrong with your wiring. It sounds like possibly the ground is got some resistance in it? Try using a different position sensor such as the aileron trim pos sensor and connect it in the same manner to pins 72, 52 and 18, and see if it cals

Ray Allen position sensor

Looking at the specs on the Ray Allen sensor should have a total resistance of 5K ohms between the orange and blue wires. The same resistance should be seen between the green and either the orange or blue wires depending on which end of travel the sensor arm is. The resistance values you show are extremely low for the sensor. All the wiring shown and you listed looks correct. I would also recommend measuring the resistance from the GSU 73 plug 2 connector to the sensor to ensure the wires from the GSU to the position sensor are good. Let me know how it goes.

Last edited:
Thanks Bill and Tim,

My mistake, I should have noted Ohm values are in the "k" scale.

This is what I tried:

I swapped the flap sensor to pins 47/67 and elevator sensor to pins 72/52
Now the flap sensor will calibrate fine and the elevator sensor wont.

The problem remains with the input into pins 52/72

Thanks for your help!
Rich

Did you extract the pins at the connector? Are you sure you are on the correct pins? Sometimes they are hard to read. I am not sure how the circuit functions, It sounds like could you have the hi and lo pins reversed. Since you swapped the two pins and it corrects the problem follows the GSU 73 pins , it is either a connector wiring or the GSU. I assume you have gone to the POS 5 setup screen and selected the proper configuration for a position sensor
Bill

Solved, Thanks Bill !

My mistake, I was trying to calibrate on POS/3 and POS/4...

I didn't notice that the flaps should be on POS/5/MISC TEMP

All sensors working correct now.

Rich