Auburntsts

Well Known Member
I have a G3X, sl30, and GTN 650. *Is there a setting *on the G3X or 650 that will allow me to cycle the CDI on the PFD through the GPS AND VOR/LOC from the 650? *Right now it cycles between whatever the Nav source has been selected internal to the 650 (either GPS or VOR but not both) and the sl30. *I'd like to be able to cycle between all 3 Nav sources GPS(650), VOR 1(650), and VOR 2(sl30) from the PFD without having to first switch between GPS and VOR on the 650.

Todd,
I believe the only way to toggle the 650 output is through the 650.
The G3X should have a CDI SRC softkey to allow toggle between the two NAV sources GTN/SL30

Changing the External Navigator
Changing the external navigator:
1) If more than one navigator is configured, press the CDI SRC Softkey to
toggle between available navigation sources.
2) Verify the external navigation source by the indication in the upper left
quadrant of the HSI and on the external navigator.
Changing the Navigation Source
Changing the navigation source (GPS, VOR, LOC, or VLOC):
Use the associated external navigator to toggle between GPS and VOR/LOC source types.
Refer to the appropriate external navigator Pilot’s Guide (e.g., SL30 Nav/Comm Transceiver
Pilot’s Guide, or the GTN or GNS Series Pilot’s Guides) for more information. When an
external navigator is configured the internal GPS can still be used for VFR navigation.

Hope that helps.

Todd,
I believe the only way to toggle the 650 output is through the 650.
The G3X should have a CDI SRC softkey to allow toggle between the two NAV sources GTN/SL30

Changing the External Navigator
Changing the external navigator:
1) If more than one navigator is configured, press the CDI SRC Softkey to
toggle between available navigation sources.
2) Verify the external navigation source by the indication in the upper left
quadrant of the HSI and on the external navigator.
Changing the Navigation Source
Changing the navigation source (GPS, VOR, LOC, or VLOC):
Use the associated external navigator to toggle between GPS and VOR/LOC source types.
Refer to the appropriate external navigator Pilot?s Guide (e.g., SL30 Nav/Comm Transceiver
Pilot?s Guide, or the GTN or GNS Series Pilot?s Guides) for more information. When an
external navigator is configured the internal GPS can still be used for VFR navigation.

Hope that helps.

Mark,
thanks but not really. The PFD CDI soft key is cycling between my external Nav sources -- the 650 and the sl30. The problem is the 650 can obviously provide 2 different formats--GPS and VOR/LOC. So if I have the 650 internally set to GPS when I cycle the PFD CDI I get either GPS from the 650 or VOR 2 from the sl30, but no VOR 1 from the 650. Conversely, if I select VOR/LOC on the 650 I get either VOR 1 or VOR 2 on the HSI and no GPS.

So what I' m shooting for is to cycle through all 3 from only the PFD a la a G1000.

Hello Todd,

Mark's explanation above is correct. If you have an external navigator that is capable of providing both GPS and VLOC navigation, the choice of whether to display either its GPS or VLOC data is left up to the navigator. This can happen automatically, such as when a GTN or GNS unit switches from VLOC to GPS on an ILS approach, or manually if the pilot changes the CDI selection on the navigator. For further information, please see pages 13-14 and 87-88 of the G3X pilot's guide (rev K).

- Matt

And I assume you mean for the CDI not simply displayed on the HSI as my HSI displays all sources at once.
I don't believe that can be done.
My thought was that the G3X would display what was sent and the 650 will only send one or the other.
It is interesting to know that the G1000 can tell the 650 to switch which one to send.
(kinda editing my own thoughts here) The 650 does send both though as the HSI displays them both at the same time.

It would be nice to switch them from the PFD.
Maybe someone smarter than me will speak up.

Hello Todd,

Mark's explanation above is correct. If you have an external navigator that is capable of providing both GPS and VLOC navigation, the choice of whether to display either its GPS or VLOC data is left up to the navigator. This can happen automatically, such as when a GTN or GNS unit switches from VLOC to GPS on an ILS approach, or manually if the pilot changes the CDI selection on the navigator. For further information, please see pages 13-14 and 87-88 of the G3X pilot's guide (rev K).

- Matt

Thanks. I was hoping that wasn't the case, but in the end it's not a problem, just a preference. Truth be told during my Instrument training behind a G1000 I never had a need to cycle through all 3. So I don't really have an operational need, this was more just an attempt to make my setup a little more seamless and G1000 like.

And I assume you mean for the CDI not simply displayed on the HSI as my HSI displays all sources at once.
I don't believe that can be done.
My thought was that the G3X would display what was sent and the 650 will only send one or the other.
It is interesting to know that the G1000 can tell the 650 to switch which one to send.
(kinda editing my own thoughts here) The 650 does send both though as the HSI displays them both at the same time.

It would be nice to switch them from the PFD.
Maybe someone smarter than me will speak up.

The G1000 doesn't need a 650. It has 2 IFR GPS's built-in, plus 2 NAV/COMs.