Worked on a G3X system that had an intermittent engine ground. Yes, the 2GA wire to the engine block had a bad crimp. (not mine) It would start the engine just fine, but with very light turbulance it would make or break ground. So, when it lost ground the alternator regulator wouldn't have a reference voltage and the alternator would max out on voltage. Here is the hard part...

The G3X engine monitor would X out, then come back. So, you could never data log the over-volt event. It wasn't until I put a volt meter on the main bus, then went and flew it, bingo... that puppy ate about 42 volts probably thousands of times.

Fixed the ground, no problems. Still flying. That is my only over-volt Garmin experience.

RTCA DO-160 section 17.0 category B refers to a spike twice the line voltage.
RTCA is not a government regulation, however the FAA, EASA and others will often cite RTCA/DO-160 as a means of compliance for certification. In fact, it is the de facto standard in aerospace environmental testing.

G3X™/G3X Touch™ Installation Manual - GDU 4XX Config and Post Install Checkout Rev. AT Page 30-6.

30.4.4System Options Page.
System Type - Selections are Non-Certified or Certified.
Set to Non-Certified when not installed under STC.

The G3X GDU display and certain components is used for installation in certified aircraft under STC. I think that it is safe to assume that parts used under STC have been tested under RTCA DO-160 section 17.0 category B.

Good luck

RTCA DO-160 section 17.0 category B refers to a spike twice the line voltage.
RTCA is not a government regulation, however the FAA, EASA and others will often cite RTCA/DO-160 as a means of compliance for certification. In fact, it is the de facto standard in aerospace environmental testing.

G3X™/G3X Touch™ Installation Manual - GDU 4XX Config and Post Install Checkout Rev. AT Page 30-6.

30.4.4System Options Page.
System Type - Selections are Non-Certified or Certified.
Set to Non-Certified when not installed under STC.

The G3X GDU display and certain components is used for installation in certified aircraft under STC. I think that it is safe to assume that parts used under STC have been tested under RTCA DO-160 section 17.0 category B.

Good luck

... and the STC (SA01899WI) lists 23.2515 (Secondary effects of lightning) and 23.2520 (HIRF) testing in the certification basis so they had to show compliance.