Strikhedonia

Well Known Member
I'm embarrassed to say I never tested what would happen if my PFD failed, but yesterday on the ground I tested what would happen if my PFD went dark.

As expected, the MFD rolled over to act as the PFD but I lost (red X) my Com1 (GTN650xi). I thought that the Com interface was all on the Can Bus. Com2 (GTR20) was still accessible so I would still have communications but I have redundancy for a reason.

Does anyone know if there is something I missed in configuration or has any ideas as to how to get Com1 on my MFD (and PFD2) if my PFD1 goes down?

The 650xi is not on CAN bus and that behavior is expected as COM and flight plan are not accessible unless you have that wired to the MFD as well.

But the simplest to access COM1 is to access it directly on the 650xi, the display of the 650 is still working, isn't it?

Why would you even bother to display GTN frequencies on the G3X and eat into the valuable data blocks?

Thank you for pointing that out. You are correct, it is still accessible directly on the GTN650xi. I was thinking the GAD29 gave it access via Can bus but looking closer I see that is only Nav, GPS, and Air data.

What do you use for your data blocks? Com, transponder, nav seemed logical to me but I'm happy to make a change for something better.

Why would you even bother to display GTN frequencies on the G3X and eat into the valuable data blocks?

What do you use for your data blocks? Com, transponder, nav seemed logical to me but I'm happy to make a change for something better.

Just scroll through the long list, there ton's of useful info available in the data blocks, don't waste them on duplicates.