NTex

Well Known Member
Whatever "skills" I have learned through the build must be going away...

I went to squeeze the last rivet on the G3X mounting template, and now it appears to have buckled or has local plastic deformation because now the mounting screen is not completely flush with the backside of the instrument panel.

20140728_185438.jpg

As you can see, it's only on the top there where it bulges out. I'm not so worried about the structural capability since it's just a framed outline with nutplates in the corners, but I don't want that thing vibrating around and screwing with the display unit.

I'd like to avoid drilling and riveting a few holes to make it sit flush again.
My brainstorming options:
1) leave as is and don't wory
2) rivet in 3 places to make it sit flush
3) use adhesive? and clamp until cures.
Any thoughts?

I ran into the same issue when I installed my G3X Touch. I would suggest you try to screw the GDU in place before you make any decisions. I ended up drilling out and extending two holes a bit to make the screws in the GDU fit better.

Ours did the same thing on both of them. I ignored it. Everything is fine. No noise and fit perfectly.

I had the holes CNC drilled when my panel was cut, then cut off the top, bottom and sides of the mounting plate, leaving just the corners. I riveted these on and it works perfectly. Saved a few grams of weight too. :)

DSC01490.JPG

DSC014921.JPG

Last edited:
I just have individual nut plates riveted to the back side in the panel. Works perfectly. I think what you have will work fine though as long as the holes line up. The instrument itself will pull the mounting ring down when it's tightened. Don't over torque though. You can crack the GDU plastic mount area if you over tighten.

Guys,

Thanks for all the responses. This really had me concerned that I screwed up the mounting plate. Sounds like I'm not the only one.

Think I'll just try and use it as-is, since the nutplate holes are lined up perfectly just the "extra" perimeter aluminum bulges. If worse comes to worse, maybe chopping off the aluminum a few inches from each nutplate is in order.

Anyway, looks like I'm OK. Thanks for everyone's responses - it can be really discouraging to make stupid mistakes with this high dollar stuff!

Chris

Deformed

I found if you under squeeze the rivet it will not deform. Just go light on the squeeze .

I found if you under squeeze the rivet it will not deform. Just go light on the squeeze .

Well...Too late!

Take note for those who have not installed it yet - under squeeze or get soft "A" style rivets.

Deformed

Never too late , easy to drill out , bend the frame and start over ( that's what I ended up doing ) By this stage of the game drilling rivets are a piece of cake !