mfleming

Well Known Member
Patron
Does this image of my G3x map look normal or should it be of a higher resolution?
For reference, that's the Grand Canyon.

pixelated.jpg

That looks normal. You are zoomed very far in.
Well That's a bit disappointing. The area displayed in the photo is the Grand Canyon...essentially no useful information at all. Suppose it's a matter of expectations if they stopped the zooming where there was still detail, I'd not be disappointed.

AS an example, this is google map zoomed in to about the same scale...
Screenshot 2024-04-26 at 12.52.49 PM.png

Point a GoPro camera straight down from under the belly of the aircraft, and route the video to the back of the Garmin display for an awesome map :D

It's a moving map aerial navigation display. It's not meant to be a satellite photo!

Wow, we really are spoiled!

We are spoiled, but some of that hardware is pretty long in the tooth now. I installled my first G3XT GDU 10y ago. It was amazing then. Less so now. Refresh rates on map redraws are pretty sluggish now. The GTNs leave them for dead.
I reckon we are due a G3X Xi or G4X. But I’ve been thinking that for a few years now.

Last edited:
It's a moving map aerial navigation display. It's not meant to be a satellite photo!

Wow, we really are spoiled!
Without detail at that zoom level, what use is a moving map at that zoom level?
EDIT: re-worded to reflect my thoughts more clearly.
We are spoiled, but some of that hardware is pretty long in the tooth now. I installled my first G3XT GDU 10y ago. It was amazing then. Less so now. Refresh rates on map redraws are pretty sluggish now. The GTNs leave them for dead.
I reckon we are due a G3X Xi or G4X. But I’ve been thinking that for a few years now.
I think you're correct about these units being long in the tooth. For now, I'll have to rely on ForeFlight for detail at that zoom level.

Last edited:
The G3X uses Garmin's 9 ARC second terrain database. It can't get any better with that resolution of database. It is always a tradeoff for resolution and performance. Like has been said, the G3X Touch has some grey hair. I would expect some upgraded hardware soon.

what's the over/under on the G3X announcement at Oshkosh this year the G3X is finally replaced this year? haha... I've been hearing this guess for the past couple of years but this year feels more right for timing than the past couple because it's less of a supply chain issue excuse these days.

Given the new 12" Dynon that just came out, I think Garmin needs to step up their game. I for one would love to see a 12" G4X. Better put some more in the avionics budget.

Given the new 12" Dynon that just came out, I think Garmin needs to step up their game. I for one would love to see a 12" G4X. Better put some more in the avionics budget.

I want to see a 10" with more horsepower before a 12". With a larger screen, it does not necessarily mean larger fonts and vectors, many times those remain the same while more screen real-estate is prioritized to add more widgets to the screen.

For me, the 12IS will never be able to handle a larger screen. The 10" barely fits.

I remember when the Touch first came out comments were made that it had a ton of overhead to handle almost anything. That was short lived as all the updates/upgrades started digging into the resources. They constantly have to balance redraws with other critical task. Some things are more critical than others and map redraws are pretty low on the list.