SFB711

Fore those of you installing G3X systems, these are a few not so obvious things I took note of to maybe save you some time and frustration.
Install was single display GDU 370 with standard GSU 25 AHRS, GMU 44 magnetometer, GPT 59 Temp probe, GAD 29 GNS430 interface, and a GMC305 Flight Director. No Garmin auto pilot installed. This replaced my Dynon D100.
Installed Using Revision K
Lesson 1: For a single unit display the wiring diagram omits jumper from Pin 10 to pin 27 on the GDU 37X display unit. Your unit will not recognize anything and be blank upon power up, very discouraging moment after a lot of work. Call to Garmin and they new about it and informed me.
Lesson 2: Down load the most current software and update entire system before post flight checkout and calibration procedure. My AHRS would not store orientation. After many phone calls, finally sent picture to Garmin of the set up screen and they said it was software compatibility problem between the units. Different times of production with different software versions I guess.
Lesson 3: For those with GNS 430, the RS232 from the 430 goes to port #2 on the GDU 37X(G3X display). This is only shown in the wiring diagram referencing the 430, and is not stated in the configuration process where to me it would likely to be found.
Lesson 4: You have to tell the G3X it has a auto pilot hooked up in the set up menu, even though it doesn't, this will allow you to select between yellow aircraft symbols. I needed a yellow chevron to match the magenta Flt. director chevron steering symbol. Finally broke the code on this one. Again I have a FD installed but no Garmin auto pilot integrated into the G3X.
Lesson 5: There is but one place (in my opinion) for the Magnetometer on an RV (forward of vertical stab). I did not bother with the magnetic interference Survey. It calibrated and works fine. My old magnetometer was located there.
Lesson 6: My Dynon pitot AOA was not compatible with the G3X system. Could not get the AOA to calibrate on the last full flap stall of the procedure. This is an RV-6A, other airframes maybe different

Wiring to me was fairly straight forward, and install pretty painless by avionic standards. Support was good from Garmin, the post installation checkout could be better, but given time I sure the process will continue to cure. Love the G3X, very nice system and so far flawless!.

Thank you for your input! I am just now installing my system. It includes dual GDX 37x panels, Gap 26 pitot, GEA 24 LRU, GMC 305 Auto pilot panel, GMU 22 magnetometer, 2 GSA 28 servos, GSU 25 AHRS, GTX 23 transponder and a GTR 200 radio.

I will have the entire panel complete next week and will start the wiring process. I am coupling this system with the vertical Power VP-X... Wiring does look to be straight forward. I did mount the GMU 22 in front of the vertical stab. Best place that I found.... Hope all goes well! Ken

I've been reading this forum and looking for some answers for a while and it's being very helpful to me.

We are currently building the tail cone of our RV-10, and still deciding whether we'll use SkyView or G3X, but it will probably consist of two GDU460, a few steam gauges and VP-X for power management.

After reading the G3X installation manual and evaluating the ideal location for the GMU44, it seemed that it should be installed on the F-1014 Aft Deck. I also noticed that the trim cables just happen to pass over this location. Won't these interfere with the magnetometer, since they (I presume so) seem to be made of steel ?

Any help will be much appreciated.

Ricardo
Brazil

Last edited:
Yes, this is not a good place in the RV-10 because of the reason you mentions. I tested this with Garmin already. I build a shelf for it in the tail cone on the aft side of the bulkhead which is one aft of the baggage wall.

Thanks

Ray Doerr
N519RV (RV10)

There are a couple of old threads in the archives regarding best place for the G3X magnetometer in a RV-10. You can do a search and read them, but the consensus location seems to be at the top of the second bulkhead aft of the baggage bulkhead. Stein sells a magnetometer bracket designed for this location. I placed it at this site, and it passes all tests. It was pointed out that in order to meet Garmin's strict guidelines for placement, you would have to tow it on a boom behind the airplane!

Wingtip

I think Garmin recommended the wingtip for the Magnometer in the RV-10. Specifically because of the electronic trim system in the tailcone. That is where I put mine and it works.

Bill,

Would you happen to have a picture of your wingtip magnetometer installation? I took a quick look through your build log, but didn't see one.

David

Thank you all for the replies. I will do a deeper search on this topic.

I also got interested on the wingtip magnetometer installation, although I wonder if the Aeroleds strobes won't interfere with the GMU since the di/dt on the strobe lead is significant.

Ricardo
Brazil

Bill,

Would you happen to have a picture of your wingtip magnetometer installation? I took a quick look through your build log, but didn't see one.

David

I would love to see this as well. My RV-8 is getting the G3X system, to replace a D100. The Dynon magnetometer is mounted in the left wingtip, and I'd like to do the same with the Garmin mag.

Lesson 6: My Dynon pitot AOA was not compatible with the G3X system. Could not get the AOA to calibrate on the last full flap stall of the procedure. This is an RV-6A, other airframes maybe different

Good to know. I have asked a few people at various trade shows about cross manufacturer possibilities and the answer was always "don't know, maybe."

Good to know. I have asked a few people at various trade shows about cross manufacturer possibilities and the answer was always "don't know, maybe."

On the flip side...I have a 7 and my Dynon probe works fine with the G3X.

My Dynon AOA pitot also works well with my G3X in my RV8. I also have the GI260 AOA indicator on the glareshield and it works great.