G3X Expert "Steve",

I have upgraded my GTX330 to GTX330ES. I have the G3X communicating with the GTX330ES. I also have a GNS480 talking to the G3X.

I did a test flight with the new GTX330ES and saw traffic as expected, but I never saw the TIS-B uplink come online it stayed X'ed out.

Do I have an issue?

Another Question: Does my GNS480 via the G3X provide the position data to the GTX330ES, of do I need a direct connection between the GNS480 & the GTX330ES?

Thanks.....Mark

G3X Expert "Steve",

I have upgraded my GTX330 to GTX330ES. I have the G3X communicating with the GTX330ES. I also have a GNS480 talking to the G3X.

I did a test flight with the new GTX330ES and saw traffic as expected, but I never saw the TIS-B uplink come online it stayed X'ed out.

Do I have an issue?

Another Question: Does my GNS480 via the G3X provide the position data to the GTX330ES, of do I need a direct connection between the GNS480 & the GTX330ES?

Thanks.....Mark

Hello Mark,

No, you don't have an issue. What you are seeing is expected.

If you reach up and turn off the GNS 480, the results will be the same.

The GTX 330ES is presently being supplied VFR WAAS GPS data from the G3X display(s) which is being used in the extended squitter transmitted by your aircraft.

As we have mentioned in other postings, we plan to have a GNS 480 update at some point that will allow you to connect an ADS-B Out RS-232 connection from the 480 to the 330 ES like is currently supported for the other GNS and GTN units.

In the meantime, just like all the VFR G3X aircraft that don't have any kind of IFR navigator, you are triggering ground station TIS-B uplinks even though the ground station is not telling the world that you are a fully participating TIS-B client.

It is that ground station supplied status assigned to your aircraft that we are using to show the TIS-B uplink status on your map and traffic page.

But here is where it gets interesting.:) We have not given up on being able to coerce the ground stations into identifying G3X VFR aircraft as fully participating clients, even when providing position data at a lower design assurance level (and admitting to it) than is required in 2020.

Here is a screen shot taken in one of our VFR only G3X aircraft in the last couple of weeks.

TISBUplink.jpg

As shown on this picture, not only are we getting TIS-B uplinked traffic (like you are), but the ground station has also declared us as a TIS-B client and the icons on the map are showing we have full air-to-air and TIS-B uplink service.

We are still testing this software and won't have it available for a while due to lots of other new features we are working on to release with it, but the good news is that we will have a software update for your G3X system this year that turns on the TIS-B uplink icon when the ground station is providing TIS-B service to you.

In the interest of full disclosure, we don't control the software in the ground stations, so they could change the rules tomorrow on what constitutes a TIS-B client and we could be back where we are today with regard to VFR aircraft, but we hope this doesn't happen for everyone's sake.

Thanks,
Steve