Bill.Peyton

Well Known Member
I am looking for a suitable mounting location for the G3X GSU73 AHARS unit. Does anyone have any experience with specific locations for the RV-10?
Bill

We have two specific brackets available for mounting the GMU. One is on the upper bulkhead aft of the baggage compartment, the other is the wintip. For the GSU we typically see that mounted forward to the instrument panel on a customer built shelf/bracket. I've also seen a nifty "throught the sub panel" GSU mount done by Rick Gray, but I don't have any pictures of that handy. Remember with the Garmin AHRS you can orient it any of the directions you choose (fwd/aft/left/right) so that makes it a bit easier.

Cheers,
Stein

Last edited:
We have two specific brackets available for mounting the GSU. One is on the upper bulkhead aft of the baggage compartment, the other is the wintip. Just remind me and we can send one with the rest of your goodies!

Cheers,
Stein

Stein,
Are you talking about the -44 (magnetometer) or the -73 (AHRS)?

Like Lucas, mine is also mounted on a shelf on the left side of the Battery/pitch servo/bell crank tray. It's the RV-10 AHRS mount that Van's sells. It comes pre-drilled, but I had to drill new holes to match those on the -73. I also have Stein's tailcone bulkhead mounted -44 bracket which I've mounted to the top of frame F-1008 (the one just behind the rear seatbelt brackets).

Last edited:
Stein,
Are you talking about the -44 (magnetometer) or the -73 (AHRS)?

Like Lucas, mine is also mounted on a shelf on the left side of the Battery/pitch servo/bell crank tray. It's the RV-10 AHRS mount that Van's sells. It comes pre-drilled, but I had to drill new holes to match those on the -73. I also have Stein's tailcone bulkhead mounted -44 bracket which I've mounted to the top of frame F-1008 (the one just behind the rear seatbelt brackets).

DOH! I'm stupid this morning without the proper levels of caffeine! Of course the GMU is what I was referring to, the GSU goes in front of the panel, typically on a shelf between the panel and the sub panel, or between the sub panel and the firewall. We do NOT have a bracket for that - only the magentometer!

I'll try to edit my post accordingly!

Cheers,
Stein

The GSU in our RV-10 is behind the baggage compartment, near where our pitch servo is located.

If you're going to hook up the engine sensors (which Lucas's airplane does not have) then you pretty much always want to put the GSU up behind the panel somewhere. Otherwise you end up running a big bundle of engine sensor wires back to the tailcone, which is less than ideal. The Van's AHRS bracket will work for the GSU but only if you're not planning to connect the engine sensors.

I recently saw a photo of a very nice behind-the-panel shelf that a builder had built for the GSU installation in his RV-10, I'll see if I can convince him to post it here...

mcb

GSU location

Bill,

My GSU is mounted through the subpanel just behind the PFD1. Connectors facing the pilot. I made rings for each side of the cutout and then ran angled aluminum on both sides and 45's up to the subpanel. It works great for wiring engine sensors and complies with the distance from CG Garmin wants. It is also very easy to get to by taking out the PFD#1.

I just finished up building a nice shelf that runs between the sub panel and the front panel on the right side. It is extremely rigid and can be easily accessed through the Co-Pilot PFD. I'll post some photos tonight when I wrap it up.
Bill

Edit: Here are the photos.....

IMG_1952.jpg

IMG_1954.jpg

VPX and TT autotrim just taped in place. Shims under front of tray for leveling of GSu73

Last edited:
The GSU in our RV-10 is behind the baggage compartment, near where our pitch servo is located.

Is that maybe for a 900X, where Van's has a mount for the AHRS near the battery? This is a different system with a different AHRS.

I don't believe that Lucas uses the engine sensors on the GSU73, which made it easier to mount and run fewer wires.

I don't believe that Lucas uses the engine sensors on the GSU73, which made it easier to mount and run fewer wires.

That's correct. :) I had forgotten about the engine sensors until Matt posted about that. In our RV12, the GSU is right behind the panel. Our RV10 uses our own EMS system so there was no need for the engine bundle, thus no worry if the GSU wasn't 'handy'.

There is still a bunch of wires that need to go from your radio stack to the AHRS unit in a dual 430W setup like some of us have. There is all the RS-232 and 429 interfaces that need to go from a 430W to the AHRS. Each 430 has 3 429 wires alone.

Ray