maus92

Well Known Member
I am planning to mount the G3X magnetometer in the left wingtip, where the old Dynon mag was mounted. Sadly, the existing mount was unusable, so I should be receiving the Garmin universal mount today from Steins. Anyway, the install instructions state that the mag should be aligned level and parallel with the longitudinal axis of the airplane. The old Dynon mag was mounted with pronounced "down" angle with respect to the attitude of the plane when standing on its gear (RV-8A.) I *think* this might have been incorrect - perhaps the installer was approximating the AOA when in cruise flight, IDK. My question is what should I use as a reference for level - would the canopy rail be correct? Or some other reference?

14ifnut.jpg

I added a photo of the old Dynon mount for reference (it's the zinc chromate platform.)

Last edited:
Level line in flight

It should be level inflight. For the 10 vans specifies for weight and balance to use the door sill. I would use what vans says you should level for w/b. Slider rails seems reasonable unless Vans specifies something else. Since the wings do have a upwards angle, it will appear to be pointed down.