JImKerr

Sponsor
I am wiring my G3X system and came across a diagram in the install manual (Page 24-26) that cables Stereo Audio Out from the G3X GDU to the Audio Panel Music 2 inputs. I'm sure it is right, but it peaked my interest. I don't see any music inputs into the GDU. Does anyone know what audio the GDU is sending to the Audio Panel? The 5XR SirusXM receivers send music out directly to the Audio Panel Music 1 input. SXM sound doesn't pass though the GDU. Only thing I can think of is a device connecting bluetooth to the GDU and it then relays the music to the audio panel. My audio panel already has bluetooth. Is this connection useful?

1718071020517.png

I believe this is in reference to a GDU-465 which contained XM inside the screen. No longer an option roughly the same time the GDL came out.

That makes sense @PNLBLDR. I bet you are right. This has to be a diagram showing connectivity of a 465. SXM music out would be the most logical source of music from a GDU. The title of the page is Figure 24-2.6 GDU 37X/4XX - External LRU Interconnect Examples. The page label is what was confusing to me. It looks like it is applicable to all 37X/4XX units. It does not have a note or anything saying what music source it would be sending. I would rather use Music 2 input for something else. I'm not going to connect these unless I hear from someone that it is necessary for a GDU 460 Touch.

That makes sense @PNLBLDR. I bet you are right. This has to be a diagram showing connectivity of a 465. SXM music out would be the most logical source of music from a GDU. The title of the page is Figure 24-2.6 GDU 37X/4XX - External LRU Interconnect Examples. The page label is what was confusing to me. It looks like it is applicable to all 37X/4XX units. It does not have a note or anything saying what music source it would be sending. I would rather use Music 2 input for something else. I'm not going to connect these unless I hear from someone that it is necessary for a GDU 460 Touch.
I used one of the music in for my GDL-51R and the other hard wired for a phono input. That phono input was the only way I could get music (from my iPad) into the audio panel (Or at least the only method I could find) as the Bluetooth connection was already being used so I could capture ATC on my Garmin Virb.

I used one of the music in for my GDL-51R and the other hard wired for a phono input. That phono input was the only way I could get music (from my iPad) into the audio panel (Or at least the only method I could find) as the Bluetooth connection was already being used so I could capture ATC on my Garmin Virb.
I was thinking the exact same thing. I have a TRRS jack I am going to install in the panel. It will send L/R Audio into the audio panel via music 2 so I can play iTunes or whatever without taking up the Bluetooth channel that a passenger may want to use and the other R is for MIC/Audio out to the iphone/ipad that should let me record ATC. That is the theory. I need to test everything to make sure it all works as expected.

The stereo audio output pins on a GDU 4xx are used only for the GDU 4x5 models with internal SXM receivers (refer to section 23.3.11 in the current G3X installation manual, revision AV). If you don't have a GDU 4x5 you don't need to bother with these pins.

The stereo audio output pins on a GDU 4xx are used only for the GDU 4x5 models with internal SXM receivers (refer to section 23.3.11 in the current G3X installation manual, revision AV). If you don't have a GDU 4x5 you don't need to bother with these pins.
Good call-out. Interesting in section 23.3.11 it also says, "Audio alerts may optionally be reproduced on the stereo audio output in addition to the mono audio output." The config screens have alert mono or stereo or both. This would also be useless. Music 2 input would have to be active to hear stereo alerts. Sounds like a completely useless connection now days. Thank you for responding.

Interesting in section 23.3.11 it also says, "Audio alerts may optionally be reproduced on the stereo audio output in addition to the mono audio output." The config screens have alert mono or stereo or both. This would also be useless. Music 2 input would have to be active to hear stereo alerts. Sounds like a completely useless connection now days.
This would be useful if you had a GDU 4x5 display connected to a simple intercom that has only a single stereo audio input.
For your installation, you will only need to connect the mono audio output from your GDU 4xx to your audio panel, and select "Mono Only" for the audio alert source.

This would be useful if you had a GDU 4x5 display connected to a simple intercom that has only a single stereo audio input.
For your installation, you will only need to connect the mono audio output from your GDU 4xx to your audio panel, and select "Mono Only" for the audio alert source.
Right on. Exactly what I was planning. Next I need to figure out where to put the subwoofers ;)

Jim, just to pile on, I did not connect any of the STEREO AUDIO OUT pins from my GDU units to anything, and I connected the MONO AUDIO pins to my audio device (in my case a GTR intercom, not an audio panel), and everything works beautifully.