humptybump

Well Known Member
I am trying to get VHF frequency transfers working between the G3X (Touch) and an SL-40 "compatible" radio.

Anyone have this working ?

Background:

I spoke with Garmin Support and I have the serial port configured correctly to "VHF Comm" (I've also tried VHF NAV/COM" and "Aviation IN / NMEA + VHF OUT". I've also tried "fast" and "normal" transmits. I've sniffed the serial and know the GPS data is working.

The VHF frequencies are not loading.

I tried "Google" and found a similar question over on the cubcrafters forum. That poster noted the problem started after firward 8.6 (and I see Garmin made a change with 8.80 "Improved comm radio RS-232 interface".

I have not seen any reports with the G3X Touch and do not see any product release notes.

Glen,
I don't have the Touch but do have a G3X PFD/MFD and a GTR225.
I do have my MFD Comm port Config RS-232 2 set for "Garmin VHF Comm" and it works fine.
The directions say that you do not need to even set up the SL40.
I wonder if your problem is the "Compatible thing"

I am trying to get VHF frequency transfers working between the G3X (Touch) and an SL-40 "compatible" radio.

Anyone have this working ?

Background:

I spoke with Garmin Support and I have the serial port configured correctly to "VHF Comm" (I've also tried VHF NAV/COM" and "Aviation IN / NMEA + VHF OUT". I've also tried "fast" and "normal" transmits. I've sniffed the serial and know the GPS data is working.

The VHF frequencies are not loading.

I tried "Google" and found a similar question over on the cubcrafters forum. That poster noted the problem started after firward 8.6 (and I see Garmin made a change with 8.80 "Improved comm radio RS-232 interface".

I have not seen any reports with the G3X Touch and do not see any product release notes.

Hello Glen,

We can get you going.

As specified on page 21-9 of the Rev. P G3X Installation Manual, select "GARMIN VHF COMM" on the RS-232 configuration for the GDU 460. Make sure you have the bi-directional RS-232 wiring as shown on that page. Also, please make sure your GDU 460 software is up-to-date (V2.70 or later).

With just this GDU 460 RS-232 port configuration, you should be able to push radio frequencies from the WPT page.

If you wish to be able to touch tune the SL40 (and we are sure you do), you need to take the configuration one step further. Go to the COM Radio configuration pages on the GDU 460, and on the COM1 or COM2 page, select the Connection type as RS-232 from the drop down list.

Let us know if you have questions.

Thanks,
Steve

Last edited:
Thanks Steve. I've quadruple checked my wires and I've confirmed the GDU460 settings.

No success.

I'll chock it up to the radio not being a "real Garmin" :)

If it turns out there is a firmware change down the road, the wiring is already in place.

Now it's time to finish ground testing and get back in the air!

I have done this since day one with my A210 using both the non-touch and touch versions of the G3X. Works great.

Have no idea if it broke with the last firmware but I will check next time I am at the plane.

Brian, thanks. I look forward to what you find. I have firmware 2.7

BTW: the radio I'm trying is much less "Garmin" than even the A210 :)