alcladrv

Well Known Member
Here's a question for the g3x experts.

I understand the GSA28 roll and pitch servos can be connected to and controlled by the G3X PFD when a GMC305 is not in the mix. I can't find in the installation manual where the connections are made. All of the drawings show them connected to the GMC305.

I have a GMC305 to install when I upgrade my panel, but in the meantime I'd like to use the autopilot functions controlled through the PFD.

Please enlighten me.

Thanks,

Mike

You just delete the 305.

The servos connect to the system over the CAN bus with a backup RS232 link to the GMC305 on the roll servo if you have a 305. If you don't have the 305, you can just delete that link or put it in for use later.

The GMC305 talks to the system by the way of one of the serial ports on one of your screens. The backup RS232 link allows the GMC305 to operate if the normal link goes INOP. The servos require a working AHRS and a working CAN bus to operate.

Page C-5 in the Rev K. of the install manual.

Last edited:
You just delete the 305.

The servos connect to the system over the CAN bus with a backup RS232 link to the GMC305 on the roll servo if you have a 305. If you don't have the 305, you can just delete that link or put it in for use later.

The GMC305 talks to the system by the way of one of the serial ports on one of your screens. The backup RS232 link allows the GMC305 to operate if the normal link goes INOP. The servos require a working AHRS and a working CAN bus to operate.

Page C-5 in the Rev K. of the install manual.

Geez! I have to throw this out there, are you some type of design engineer for Garmin? You seem to know an abnormally large quantity of data concerning the Garmin products!:D. Just wondering?

Geez! I have to throw this out there, are you some type of design engineer for Garmin? You seem to know an abnormally large quantity of data concerning the Garmin products!:D. Just wondering?

Nope, I just read the manual...and the post by G3XPERT...

and stay at Holiday Inn Express's

:p

But really, by day I am an Industrial Automation Engineer with over 20 years of experience. This avionics stuff just fits in my wheelhouse so to speak....

Nope, I just read the manual...and the post by G3XPERT...

and stay at Holiday Inn Express's

:p

But really, by day I am an Industrial Automation Engineer with over 20 years of experience. This avionics stuff just fits in my wheelhouse so to speak....

The real reason is he hangs around with Duke a lot. I expect to see where Brian is offering to sell the Garmin secret recipes :D

Here's a question for the g3x experts.

I understand the GSA28 roll and pitch servos can be connected to and controlled by the G3X PFD when a GMC305 is not in the mix. I can't find in the installation manual where the connections are made. All of the drawings show them connected to the GMC305.

I have a GMC305 to install when I upgrade my panel, but in the meantime I'd like to use the autopilot functions controlled through the PFD.

Please enlighten me.

Thanks,

Mike

Hello Mike,

I agree with what Brian says above. He is one clever fellow. I don't think he has ever forgotten a word we have posted here. :)

Several times at Oshkosh people ask us what happens if you lose the GMC 305 or don't install one, and we were prepared for that question.

We just reached around the side of the G3X demo kiosk and flipped off the power switch connected to the GMC 305. Automatically, the softkeys on the PFD to control the autopilot appear, and you are all set to go.

In summary, fly all you want using the softkeys on the PFD until you get the GMC 305 installed.

Let us know if you have more questions.

Thanks,
Steve

Referencing the drawing on Page C-5 of the July 2013 version of the G3X installation manual.

With the GMC305 not installed, is it correct to determine that Pin 7 on the GSA28 Roll servo is connected directly to either Pin 47, 14 or 29 on the GDU 37x AND Pin 8 on Roll servo is connected to either Pin 48, 30 or 13 as appropriate on the GDU 37x?

Thanks,

Mike

Referencing the drawing on Page C-5 of the July 2013 version of the G3X installation manual.

With the GMC305 not installed, is it correct to determine that Pin 7 on the GSA28 Roll servo is connected directly to either Pin 47, 14 or 29 on the GDU 37x AND Pin 8 on Roll servo is connected to either Pin 48, 30 or 13 as appropriate on the GDU 37x?

Hi Mike - Not quite. If you don't have a GMC 305, the RS232 pins on the roll servo (P281 pins 7 and 8) are unused and don't connect to anything.

- Matt

Thanks for your response, Matt. I didn't see that explanation in the installation manual.

I'm not an electronic whiz like others, but can connect pins and understand the basics.

Mike

I have a single screen G3X system with a GSU73 wired per the interconnect drawing shown on page D-2 of the 190-01115-01 installation manual Revision K. I'm installing the GSA28 roll and pitch servos. I've chosen to terminate one end of the Can Bus at the roll servo, making the pitch servo a node on the bus. Where do the Can Bus wires from the roll servo connect into the system? Should the other end of the Can Bus terminate at the GSU73 or the GDU375 PFD?

Thanks for your quick response.

Mike

I have a single screen G3X system with a GSU73 wired per the interconnect drawing shown on page D-2 of the 190-01115-01 installation manual Revision K. I'm installing the GSA28 roll and pitch servos. I've chosen to terminate one end of the Can Bus at the roll servo, making the pitch servo a node on the bus. Where do the Can Bus wires from the roll servo connect into the system? Should the other end of the Can Bus terminate at the GSU73 or the GDU375 PFD?

Thanks for your quick response.

Mike

Hello Mike,

Please check your email for an answer we sent earlier. Let us know if you still have questions.

Thanks,
Steve